Forum Discussion

Psyblade
New Contributor
5 years ago

100 Mbps Download, But Not With Cox Nova Server

I have Cox preferred internet with download speeds of 100 Mbps.  I got a new modem/router a Netgear AC1900, C7000v2, Nighthawk.  It is approved for use by Cox, according to their website.  The firmware is V1.02.12, which is also the firmware approved by Cox's website.  My desktop is connected to the modem/router with a cat6 ethernet cable.  The default internet server that I have to use is Cox Nova.  Running a Cox or Ookla speed test on that server I get consistent download speeds of 17-21 Mbps--far below 100 Mpbs I am paying for.  If I run a speed test on any other local server, I get consistent download speeds of 117-120 Mbps.  If I run a Cox speed test using the Cox Atlanta or Cox Omaha servers, I also get consistent download speeds between 115-120 Mbps, although the ping is 30-40 instead of 7-10.  My first call to Cox got me nowhere.  What can I do to get the download speed I am paying for?  The router can receive fast download speeds, including from other Cox servers, but Cox can't seem to offer a solution to getting that speed from the Cox Nova server, which is the one I have to use.  Help!

4 Replies

• Hi Psyblade, your Netgear Gateway is reporting low, but consistent, packet loss. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to the Gateway? You might try replacing the splitter to see if your speed test performance improves. If there are no splitters, or if replacing the splitter doesn't improve your speed, I suggest a service call. If you'd like my team to schedule an appointment for you, please email us at cox.help@cox.com. Please include a link to this thread and your full street address in your email. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Psyblade
      New Contributor

All the lines and splitters in the entire house and to the outside box were replaced yesterday.  The speed problem was the same before and after this replacement.  A line comes in to the basement and splits, one to the modem/router and on to a TV.  What does a service call mean?  What does it cost?  I have Cox Complete Care.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Psyblade, a service call is when Cox sends out a certified technician to the home. As you mentioned you are currently subscribed to Cox Complete Care, it covers the replacement of inside cable coax/telephone wires, wiring from the Internet & Telephone Modem into the dwelling, as well as the replacement of fittings, splitters, amplifiers, and outlets installed or existing, http://bit.ly/2UWHCN8. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Psyblade
    New Contributor

As of today, I am getting 120.2 download and 10.5 upload on the Cox Nova Server via hardwire ethernet.  On a wireless laptop we got about 70 on the download and 10 on the upload.  So, as far as I am concerned, things are working as advertised.  I think this is what finally solved the problem.  I contacted Netgear.  They had me open a command prompt and run some kind of ping test using changing a channel or mtu size in my wan setup.  The default was 1500.  At the command prompt, I had to type ping and the number 1500 and I think a space -a and space -f.  4 packets were sent, none received and 4 lost.  They had me change that channel/mtu size in the setup for my modem router and run another ping test using that number.  Still got 4 packets sent, none received and 4 lost.  They had me change the channel/mtu size number again in the router modem wan setup and run another ping test from the command prompt.  This time I got 4 packets sent, 4 received and none lost.  I ran a speed test and it was still bad.  They said to try speed tests after 24-48 hours and if it was still bad to call them back.  I ran another speed test after 48 hours and I got the download speeds of 120.  So if your having a problem, changing the channel or mtu size (not sure what it was exactly--I think the Netgear rep called it a channel, but it says MTU size when I went back to see what to call it for this post).  The Netgear folks gave me the alternate channels/mtu size to try instead of the default 1500.  Good luck.