Forum Discussion

NrsgisGr8
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Cannot receive incoming email through Outlook

I have done everything possible (and numerous times) of resetting, rechecking, rebooting, etc. Nothing works. Yes, I am still using Windows XP. I can send e-mails on Outlook but I cannot receive.Say What!?!  Why is it I can send but not receive?  Yes, I can receive emails on COX webmail but what a pain. I have all my folders set up on outlook and sort everyday. Cox rep sez that they sent out notice regarding email change......no...no...no. Must I upgrade my Outlook and if so, to which Windows product? I spoke with Microsoft and they stated the problem is definitely not on their end but is a problem incurred by COX....grrrrr.....so frustrating. On top of the email problem, unfortuneately, we bundled and a month ago, found out we have to get a Phone Modem as our phone jacks will no longer work for COX phone service. In addition, now we must change all our TV cable boxes to Contour. COX, you are making an already stressful life even more stressful!!!😖

12 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

How are you sending email with Outlook?  Do you mean you can successfully use the Test Account Settings button within Outlook?  I can do that but I can't compose and send email because the server won't issue a certificate.

As for the telephone modem, Cox is transitioning from Digital Telephone to VOIP.  It's a different technology and has nothing to do with phone jacks.  The signal coming from the new modem and into your phone jack will still be analog.

NrsgisGr8
      New Contributor II

I can send emails from my Outlook MS XP and from Cox webmail but I can receive only on Cox webmail. Thank you for the explanation re: VOIP. My frustration is that we weren't notified and one day our phones stopped working. We are contemplating using our cell phones and not having a "landline"

rfm
    New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem.   I can access and send e-mail through Cox Webmail, But, my e-mail client won't connect to their server.   I spoke to Cox tech and they said that they updated their security protocol and as a result, older e-mail clients won't work.  They said that Outlook Express and Outlook from XP and Windows 7 won't work.   So, according to Cox, the solution is to upgrade my operating system to Windows 10!?  Can it get any crazier?

NrsgisGr8
      New Contributor II

I think not (any crazier). Called Cox multiple times and no one asked which MS version I was using or that I needed to upgrade. I have been meaning to upgrade forever. Only way I discovered that MS XP won't work was through this forum. Yea forum members....Boo Cox help support!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

It's the underlying security components of our older operating systems causing the problem.  Cox wants port 587; I open port 587.  Cox wants TLS encryption; I select TLS encryption.  Cox wants outbound authentication; I opt outbound authentication.  Everything Cox wants, I configured.

This was just another misinformation campaign.  I can initiate a TLS handshake...but Cox doesn't like how I do the TLS handshake.

Before the change, Cox should have listed the operating systems with the Schannel (or equivalent) security component and those without.  In addition, they should have included the operating systems with the Schannel component but will only work after registry hacks.

This has been a fiasco because Cox was obviously unaware subscribers still use older software...or didn't care.  it's ageism!

Becky

Bruce is right about the "underlying security components of our older operating systems causing the problem." The operating system of each device must support TLS for an email client to send and receive mail. Windows XP may not have the ability to utilize the necessary version of TLS encryption Cox now requires.  -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator

rfm
    New Contributor II

I've discovered another 'gift' from COX.   Since we are all now forced to use IMAP rather than COX, each time you delete an e-mail in webmail, that corresponding e-mail is automatically deleted in Outlook, you local e-mail client.   There is no way to retain your downloaded e-mail on you local e-mail client unless you retain that e-mail in Cox Web Mail.,  This however creates another problem since each user has a limited amount of space on their web mail account.  Here's the solution, although not a great solution....................Create another folder in your local e-mail navigating pane.   For example "Inbox2" .  Then, copy all of the downloaded e-mail from "inbox" to "Inbox2".   After doing so, go to Webmail and delete all mail from your inbox   Check your e-mail at your local client, that is Outlook.   You will see that all of the e-mail formerly in Inbox is gone.   BUT, the e-mail in "Inbox2" remains.  Is this an elegant solution................NO.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

That's how IMAP works.  The server keeps the email until you delete if from the server.  While an email remains on the server, each of your clients (Outlook, T-bird, Mailbird, etc) only download on the header information of the email for you to read.  You can delete it from your client but it'll remain on the server...unless you opt a setting within your client to also delete it from the server.