Forum Discussion

Major_Steve
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Slow Internet

I have Cox's new "Gigablast" Internet Service.  It is Not 1000 Mbps!  I realize that their are a lot of components that contribute to network speed, such as the network card, router, wiring, etc., BUT Cox is not delivering their advertised speeds.  I spent time with their support. I am getting 45 Mbps download on a  Gigabit network card via a wired connection and 100 Mbps on a wireless connection using AC protocol.

Their customer service has been degraded, unless you give them more money! They tried several things and it did not help.  Their solution was to get me to buy their Complete Care Home service.  I had this service for 16 years, but dropped it when I canceled their TV and phone service.  It as just too expensive; over the course of 17 years with Cox, their services have doubled in cost, while other utilities have not. They told me they would charge me $75 for a site visit to troubleshoot my issues.  There is no way I am paying for this, so I told them NO Technician.  Why should I pay for them to visit my home, when the problem is NOT here?

Cox has attempted to complete with AT&T's fiber with "Gigablast" over copper.  It is NOT measuring up. When will they catch up? When will they invest in fiber to homes?

3 Replies

Major_Steve
    New Contributor II

This is still a problem. My daughter switched to AT&T because of it.  Hope they come to my neighborhood soon!

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Major Steve

I apologize for the frustration you’ve been experiencing with your Cox services and I want to help. If you can email your full name and the street address on your Cox account, I’ll be happy to investigate. Please send to cox.help@cox.com also include this link. If the source of the problem is in our equipment or outside your house, it is our responsibility and there is no charge for the service call.

Cox Moderator
      Major_Steve
      New Contributor II

This morning at 6 Am when no one is on the internet in my area, I git 30 Mbps on a wired connection.  I just ran the test again and I got 97.7 Mbps.  

Nothing changed on my end, so Cox must be doing something different. Still a long way to go to get to 1000 Mbps