Forum Discussion

leatherlady
New Contributor III
5 years ago
Solved

Can't send email to other Cox accounts

Since 4/24 I cannot send emails to other Cox email accounts from my IMAC desktop or my Ipad.  The ports are all correctly set and nothing has changed in my setup.  I can send and receive to anyone, but my emails to other Cox email accounts don't appear in their inboxes. One recipient had them in spam and another just doesn't have them appear at all, even on the Cox webmail page.   They appear in my sent mail and nothing is being held in an outbox.  I don't get any error messages and no mail has bounced back as undeliverable.  I receive emails from other Cox customers but they don't get mine unless I send them from the Cox site.  What is stopping delivery of my emails to Cox accounts?

• I am experiencing the same issue, which started some time earlier in the month of April 2019:  I am unable to send email from one Cox account to another Cox account when the mail originates from the Outlook app (or any of the accounts to themselves).  If I originate the mails from Cox Webmail, I can send mail to my other accounts (and to themselves), and I will see the incoming email in the Outlook app Inbox for the respective account. Thinking this is some kind of breakdown between the Outlook app and Cox mail, I tried setting up an IMAP account in the Outlook app, but same issue -- cannot self test or send mail to other Cox accounts if I originate in Outlook.  Changing to IMAP changes the incoming server, and the issue appears to be in the outbound (SMTP) path between the Outlook app and Cox.

All other email traffic to and from any address that is not cox.net seems to work.

I have three cox.net mail accounts associated with my cable account.  All PCs are Microsoft running Outlook 2013, using POP3 accounts set up per latest Cox directive.  I just set up an IMAP duplicate for one of these in my Outlook app to see if the issue was POP3 related, but as I said, no improvement.

Not a critical issue, but is an enormous pain when I want to forward stuff to my wife, etc.  Is this some kind of change in Cox security protocol??  Ideas please!!

25 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    middlejim
    New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue, which started some time earlier in the month of April 2019:  I am unable to send email from one Cox account to another Cox account when the mail originates from the Outlook app (or any of the accounts to themselves).  If I originate the mails from Cox Webmail, I can send mail to my other accounts (and to themselves), and I will see the incoming email in the Outlook app Inbox for the respective account. Thinking this is some kind of breakdown between the Outlook app and Cox mail, I tried setting up an IMAP account in the Outlook app, but same issue -- cannot self test or send mail to other Cox accounts if I originate in Outlook.  Changing to IMAP changes the incoming server, and the issue appears to be in the outbound (SMTP) path between the Outlook app and Cox.

All other email traffic to and from any address that is not cox.net seems to work.

I have three cox.net mail accounts associated with my cable account.  All PCs are Microsoft running Outlook 2013, using POP3 accounts set up per latest Cox directive.  I just set up an IMAP duplicate for one of these in my Outlook app to see if the issue was POP3 related, but as I said, no improvement.

Not a critical issue, but is an enormous pain when I want to forward stuff to my wife, etc.  Is this some kind of change in Cox security protocol??  Ideas please!!

leatherlady
      New Contributor III

Hope you have better luck than I did.  They attempted to help me to no avail. 

leatherlady
        New Contributor III

That link is forbidden: 

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /content/cox/residential/corporate/pages/support/pop-or-pop3-server-settings/ on this server.

• Hi Leatherlady, I posted a reply to your post in the thread at forums.cox.com/.../88328. I included steps for an Outlook email client since that was the client mentioned in the thread. Check out the two Support articles on email settings for a Mac email client at www.cox.com/.../setting-up-an-email-account-in-mail-for-mac-os-x.html and www.cox.com/.../restoring-cox-email-settings-in-mail-for-mac-os-x-el-capitan.html. The important setting, and the one that most likely needs to be updated, is to change from SSL encryption to TLS or SSL/TLS. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      leatherlady
      New Contributor III

Becky, as I said in my post my settings are all correct.  I have ssl/tls and the port is set to 587.  All my emails go through except those to other cox accounts.  What is the problem?

leatherlady
      New Contributor III

Becky,  First of all I am on the High Sierra OS, not El Capitan.  Secondly, all my settings are correct as I said in my post.  The only issue is that other Cox accounts are not receiving my emails.  All else is working fine.  Have you somehow labelled my outgoing emails as spam???

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Leatherlady, seeing as that you mentioned only other Cox emails being impacted, and how one recipient receives this email in their spam folder, it is entirely possible that your emails are being flagged as spam. Can you please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com? We may have to escalate this case. -Kevin
  • I'm having the same problem.  Started today 4/30/2019 at 7:00 PM.  Here's the bounce message I got back.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: FW: Spring 2019 ... and more....
    Sent: 4/30/2019 7:13 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Jane Doe (janedoe@cox.net) on 4/30/2019 7:13 PM
    550 <John Doe xxxxx@cox.net> message rejected. Refer to Error Codes section at www.cox.com/.../email-error-codes.html for more information. AUP#CXSNDR

Note, according to Cox's link of error codes, error code 550 simply means "The intended recipient is not a valid Cox Email account."   

Which is absurd.  Our family has had same Cox email account for YEARS.

• This same email sending problem occurred recently on April 25, 2019 repeatedly around 3:30 pm.  Several hours later, everything returned to normal.  And, I did NOT make any changes on my end.