Forum Discussion

KenKK
Contributor
5 years ago

April 24, 2019 security changes for COX mail

My brother has an older XP computer using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.    I realize its old but it works

for him for mail.   It stopped working a few days ago and I am assuming it has to do with COX making changes.

Can anyone tell me if there are any configuration changes that can be made in the setup for this to work.

When he clicks the SEND/RECEIVE tab it looks like it normally does after but then he gives him an error message.

If its a few config changes in his Outlook version I can make them for him.  I just want to know

if it has the security required by COX.

Thanks,

Ken

6 Replies

• My son's email has been hacked 3 times in the past 6 months and once less than a week ago. If you have enhanced security it's not working.

Becky
      Hi Peggy8080, what symptoms or behaviors has your son noticed that make him believe his email has been hacked? Has his password changed without his consent? Has he noticed emails in the Sent folder that he did not send? Have people on your son's email contact list received spam emails from him? I suggest that your son update the anti-virus and anti-malware programs on all his devices and run full scans. It's possible that spyware on one of his devices has compromised his email password as well as other online account passwords. Once he has confirmed that his devices are virus, spyware, and malware-free, he should change his email password to a brand new password. Tell him not to reuse a previous password because someone or something else may have it (example: keylogger malware). He will then need to update his new password in his email settings for all his devices that uses to check email: desktop or laptop computers, smartphones, and tablets. Your son should also change his passwords for his other online accounts, such as banking, shopping, and social media accounts. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Hi KenKK, Cox has enhanced Cox Email security to better protect you and the email you send. As of April 24, 2019, all email sent from a Cox Email address must use TLS 1.0 security encryption or higher. Cox no longer supports sending email through email clients using SSL security encryption version 3.0 or older. Your brother will need to update his Outlook settings to meet these requirements. Refer him to www.cox.com/.../cox-email-server-settings.html and have him choose the server setting option that he uses. Note: Some devices and email clients combine SSL and TLS into one authentication option of SSL/TLS. If there is no explicit TLS option, then choose the combined option of SSL/TLS and check the authentication box, if available. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Swamper
      New Contributor III
      Cox has enhanced Cox Email security to better protect you and the email you send.

And so blocking my ability to receive email enhances the security of email I send!!!

Swamper
        New Contributor III

and even more interesting, Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP can SEND email through cox just can't RECEIVE email through cox.

I see the great minds at cox spent a lot of thought on this.

Deuce
    New Contributor

Hi Ken, I have the exact same setup as your brother and had the same problem relating to the recent security changes. After researching I changed to OE Classic for my Cox email.  It has the same general look and feel as Outlook Express 6.  I was also able to easily import my old emails.  There is a basic/free version and and a 'Pro' version for $25.  I tried the basic first and it worked fine, but upgraded to the Pro version since I wanted some of the more robust features I was used to in Express 6.  I think the Pro version might be needed for the import option, but you can try the basic version first and just keep Express around as an archive.

Follow-up:  The newest version of OE Classic, 3.0, doesn't seem to play well with XP.  The prior version worked very well, but the newest seems to cause PC hangs when opening some emails.  Time to get totally off of XP anyway due to security issues.  If still using XP there may be other email options, such as Thunderbird, or others, until you can get OS upgraded.