Forum Discussion

MissyKay
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Trouble getting emails sent via Apple Mail AND via my email.cox.net

I am having difficulties sending emails to certain (not all) parties.  Oddly, it mostly seems it affects friends living in TX and PA.  I often will get the following pop-up when I hit “Send”  - but NOT always:

! An error occurred inside the server which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

No other direction or detail is provided to trouble-shoot.  This error message does not always show up and I only know that a party has NOT received my emails after days go by without getting a response (and I get confirmation from them later that they never got my email).

I use Apple Mail and updated my mail server settings earlier in 2018 per Cox’s direction & specifications.

For incoming I have mail set to imap.cox.net / Port #993 using TLS/SSL

For outgoing I have mail set to smtp.cox.net / Port #465 using TLS/SSL

My OS is Sierra 10.12.6 and I diligently install all security/software updates Apple posts for Safari and my computer.

I’ve even deleted my username & password and re-entered them in both my in-coming & out-going email server settings per one of the Forum’s suggestions to another customer with a similar issue - but that has not resolved my problem.  My trouble sending emails described above also occurs when I use myemail.cox.net as a work around.  Any advice is much appreciated. 

5 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator

Hi MissyKay, we're sorry to learn of this unfortunate experience. Are you able to send emails to your specific friends in TX and PA, using our host webs server at www.myemail.cox.net? If so, I would recommend changing your password entirely and then updating the new password in your Client (Apple Mail) settings. Here is a link with instructions on how to change the password, https://bit.ly/2nKVdp4. Additionally, you are welcome to try port 587 (with TLS enabled), in lieu of 465. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

MissyKay
      New Contributor III

Thanks for the direction.  To answer your question, yes, the sending issue occurs when using Cox's host web server www.myemail.cox.net.  Most importantly, can you please tell me if there are any security concerns when changing the smtp port # from 465 to 587?  Thank you.

MissyKay
        New Contributor III

Also - could you please re-confirm the bit.ly link.  When I click on the link provided above - I get:  "Something's wrong here.... Uh oh, Bitly couldn't find a link for the bitly URL you clicked.  Thanks.

• Hi MissyKay. There are no security concerns as both are secure servers. The only difference is they use different security protocols. Here is a different link to use - www.cox.com/.../imap-server-settings.html. If you are getting this error when you try to send email through myemail.cox.net, we need to address this. Please send us an email at cox.help@cox.com and include this link, your complete address and name on the account to get started. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
      MissyKay
      New Contributor III

Thank you for the confirmation re security concerns - as well as the link to imap server settings.   I have gone in and reset my smtp port # to 587.  Let me see how that works - through Apple Mail and www.myemail.cox.net.  Should I continue to get the pop-up "! an error occurred inside the server..." messages - I'll come back and initiate the email to cox.help for additional follow-up as you suggest.  Thank you.