Forum Discussion

mels
Contributor
11 years ago

Continuing Modem Disconnects

Okay, it's been 30 days since I first reported that my modem disconnects at least once every 24-36 hours.  Frankly I am running out of ideas and patience in dealing with this issue.  My series of events:

July 12 - had Record-6 DVR box installed, no wiring changes were made

July 15 - during this week, began to notice cable modem disconnects

July 21 - reported disconnects, signals were out of spec, a tech visit was suggested

July 30 - tech visit, changed splitters, added an amp to the line

July 31 - modem problem not fixed and started having performance trouble with tv/dvr

August 9 - second tech visit (much more thorough), replaced wiring, changed fittings, removed amp.  Suggested that I upgrade phone service to use eMTA modem (replacing my new $100 modem now sitting in a box), to improve signals.  Phone switch was completed, signal levels improved slightly.

August 11 - since August 11, cable modem still loses connection at least once daily; and now, phone service goes out during that time as well.  Very helpful!

Have tried:

- to connect modem directly to primary PC to bypass router (wife did not like this option).  Did not solve problem.

- to remove splitter on line -- improved signals to "near perfect" levels.  Did not solve problem.

- to bypass all connections to UPS, coax & power.  Did not solve problem.

- to use various DNS servers.  Seemed to work temporarily, but did not solve problem.

I have no idea what else to try, and honestly don't feel like I should have to spend 2 hours a day troubleshooting my internet connection.  I've been a Cox internet user for 15+ years and have never had an recurring connection problem.  I have berated door-to-door AT&T sales people touting their service over Cox.  Maybe this is the scenario they were alluding to.

I do not believe the problem exists within the structure of my house, so how do I troubleshoot that?  I would personally like to rid myself of the eMTA modem and use what I previously chose to purchase.  Does this mean I need to cancel my telephone service?

There have been many threads in this forum about connection & speed issues.  I realize there are vast locations and technical issues involved, but it is amazingly frustrating that Cox can not seem to fully resolve the majority of them.

HELP!

29 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion