Forum Discussion

Nateh8900
New Contributor II
5 years ago

COX Slowing Xbox upload speeds

I pay for 1GB 1000MB down and 35MB upload with unlimited data.

I troubleshooted everything but recently found that Cox is slowing certain upload ports for the Xbox. I directly connected the xbox to the modem and still cannot get higher than 2MB upload. When I speed test on my Iphone/PC/Mac I get around 35mb. I even took my Xbox to a friends who has Century Link and performed a speed test which resulted in over 300mb upload.  I am just confused why are my upload speeds are purposely being slowed when it comes to gaming purposes? I enjoy Cox but if this does not get resolved quickly I will be going to Century Link.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Any recent updates to its OS, i.e., network ports.  Perhaps MS uses a new port number but Cox hasn't configured.

Nateh8900
      New Contributor II

I spoke to Microsoft support and they stated that Port 80 is a major port that needs to be open for services to run smoothly. I then spoke to COX support who verified that they closed Port 80 to their customers due to security reasons (viruses/worms). That is absolutely ridiculous due to Port 80 being a very common port that many devices rely on to be open. COX Tech told me they would not fix the situation. Microsoft was very confused on why COX would close Port 80. Looks like Xbox users are stuck with poor speeds unless they switch ISP's.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Port 80 is only closed to you as inbound.  Meaning, you can connect to Internet servers through port 80, but the Internet can't connect to you via port 80.

This is not only to prevent you from running a web server on the Cox network but to thwart the vulnerabilities in some web server software.

A restricted port 80 shouldn't be a problem for you.