Forum Discussion

bwc1950
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Gigablast with phone bundle

I just upgraded to Gigablast and Cox telephone. I received two new modems, an Arris and a Panoramic WiFi. I have one coax service cable coming from the junction box to the house. Each of the new modems has a coax input, both have ethernet ports, and both have two Tel ports. I believe I need a splitter so both modems can access Cox service. What splitter should I get?

Secondly, the Arris modem (phone) has 4 ethernet ports, 3 of which are covered over with tape saying do not use. Anyone know why? The new Panoramic modem only has two ethernet ports and I need three. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

28 Replies

bwc1950
    New Contributor II

For anyone trying to follow this thread. I only needed to connect the Panoramio - CGM4141WIFI to get hard wired internet, phone, and wifi. I did not need the Arris - Model TM3402EMTA. It's all hooked up and everything is working. Special thanks to Bruce, WiderMouthopen, and Kevin. You're the best and very patient. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You should review your account online for whatever equipment you're renting and are accountable to return.

This will not only rid your needless rental fees but also avoid any additional charges if you lose the equipment before closing your account.

I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Could you provide the alphanumeric model of your Arris and WiFi?

bwc1950
      New Contributor II

Arris - Model TM3402EMTA

Panoramio - CGM4141WIFI

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Unless you have cable TV service with Cox, you don't need a splitter.  If you do have cable TV, you'd connect a splitter near your set-top box.  One coax segment would route from the splitter to the set-top box and the other segment to your Arris.  Let me know if you have cable TV service for the type of splitter.

Both the Arris and Panoramic are an overkill only because of your telephone service.  Meaning, the Arris and Panoramic are both Internet modems.  Most subscribers only require one Internet modem.  However, the Arris is the only modem capable to support both Gigablast Internet and Cox Voice (telephone service).  I provide price later.

Since the Arris is your Internet modem, the Panoramic is solely your in-house router.

Your setup.  The coax coming from the wall should only connect to the Arris.  The Arris would have two other connections.  An RJ11 cable (telephone) would connect to a nearby telephone jack.  An Ethernet cable (Cat-6) would connect to the Panoramic.

The 3 port are covered with tape because your modem only supports 1 router or network.  It was probably made to support 4 routers but that'd be for a business service.

You need 3 ports but the Panoramic only provides 2.  You'll need to replace the Panoramic.

Price.  By law, Cox has to freely loan you any equipment required for telephone service.  If they issued you two Internet modems (Arris and Panoramic) but only one provides telephone service, you should not have paid for it.  You are renting the Panoramic from Cox with a monthly fee.  You don't need to rent routers; you can buy your own router.  Therefore, buy a new router with 3-4 ports, return the Panoramic and stop the fees.  If you need recommendations for a WiFi router, ask on here.

bwc1950
      New Contributor II

I do not have Cox TV, just VoIP Telephone and Internet. I do have my current router (1) ethernet cable running from the router to a "whole home" ethernet junction in a utility wiring box. Ethernet cables run from the "box" to the wall ports throughout the house. So, would I take the one ethernet port not taped on the Arris and run it to the whole home junction box? The other two ethernet ports I use are for the ADT alarm system and a gateway that controls swimming pool functions. Could those two cables be re routed to the whole home junction box?

Thank you again for the reply.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        I do have my current router (1) ethernet cable running from the router to a "whole home" ethernet junction in a utility wiring box. Ethernet cables run from the "box" to the wall ports throughout the house.

Is the Panoramic in this setup?  I don't understand.  Could you explain with the make and model numbers of your setup?  Do you need WiFi?  Does the other router provide WiFi?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I wish Cox would add an Expand All Comments option here because I'm having a hard time finding new comments.

bwc1950
      New Contributor II

Same with me, I'm scrolling and looking at how long ago the post was added.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I don't know where I am.  I think I replied to one of my own posts.