This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Data usage discrepancy

Recently, I have discovered that my data usage has been excessive.  Consistently, I have been using about 10-15 GB per day and about 300 GB per month.  Now, as of mid-February, I am using 50-100+ GB per day and I am currently at 1.3 TB used.   

I've worked in a data center and the IT industry for many years and performed the following:

-Reset my WIFI password to another cryptic and long password

-Enabled traffic monitor on my router.  To elaborate, my router indicated I've used about 5.7 GB of data and Cox says I used 50 GB.

-Verified all attached devices  to my router and mines and firmware upgraded.

-Executed nmap from external to my home IP and verified I don't have any dangling open ports.

-Reset my router MAC and reset my modem to pick up a new IP.

-Exchanged my Cox modem for a new modem.

--

Any ideas?  My apps and devices are all monitored and everything is normal.   6 GB  daily usage vs 50 GB and 300 GB monthly trend to 1.3+ TB?

  • It sure sounds like someone else is using the data associated with your account. 

  • Hello DanCoxRes,

    Internet usage is doubling every two years, largely driven by a rise in streaming TV and movies. Cox offers a Data Usage Meter to help customers monitor their daily, monthly, and historical data usage. The meter is updated daily with usage from the prior day. It is available in My Account and the Cox Connect mobile app. To learn tips and tools to help manage data usage, direct customers to visit www.cox.com/datausage or to download the Cox Connect app. If you still believe that the data that you are seeing is inaccurate, please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your address, a link to this thread, and the router logs showing your data traffic.

    Tiffany R.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • There is no explanation. Historically, I used about 300 gigs a month, then last November or December my usage according to Cox shot up to 50 gigs a day. I changed out my router/modem, changed my password, had techs out to my house 3 times and nothing helped. I don't stream tv or music, I may watch YouTube a little but there is no way I used 50 gigs a day ever. Last month, my usage went back to normal but 2 days ago, Cox said that I used 50 gigs again. Please post if you find an answer.

  • My last isolation test was to put my old router in front of my new router.   My old router only has capability of monitoring the entire network throughput but only 1 device would be attached.   When I did this, I noticed that the total data (up/down) was moving significantly on my old router.   It would be nice if the up/down meter could be separated, not total per Cox.

    Next step was to turn off all devices and turn on one by one.   Looking at my old router, I discovered most activity came from my work laptop and was most likely the culprit.  Oddly, my new router was not accurately posting network activity for my work laptop, possibly because of having multiple VMs.  Seems the router detects my VMs on a landline host, but not a WIFI host.  

    Furthermore, I uninstalled OneDrive (cloud sync) on my work laptop.   After making a shortcut on my desktop to my VMshare, I think it might have been trying to sync everything beneath that shortcut.

    Yesterday I used about 15GB so that was slightly above normal.   Hopefully this resolution will help a few people.