Forum Discussion

Santa_Claus
New Contributor
6 years ago

Can log into Webmail with new Email account but POP3 server login error prevents Outlook 2010 email account with same password

Hello, I can log into cox webmail using my new account with the password that I have created (and changed successfully).  I can not get Outlook 2010 to get beyond the following error when I attempt to test settings :  Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR invalid user name or password."  I am using the correct settings as per support documents and see this is a pervasive issue in the forums.  Is there a fix?  I see the Microsoft Outlook test message come successfully into my webmail for this account, but I still get prompted for the POP3 password in Outlook 2010.  One of the suggestions was to change the password until my tools, but this did not result in a change of the error.  I have two other email accounts inside of my working Outlook 2010 that have been working successfully with the new required settings since the January 2018 security changes for SSL.  I am not having any issues inside of those two Outlook 2010 email accounts that interface with cox.net.  Any ideas?

5 Replies

EricaW
    Former Moderator
    Hi Santa Claus,

Please share the rest of the error including the code you've received there. We want to track down the code to determine the next best steps.

Erica
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Santa_Claus
      New Contributor

Response: Thank you. Immediately after I configure with correct ports and settings, I click test account settings in Outlook 2010 and I am prompted to "enter your user name and password for the following server" The username is correct without @cox.net attached and has the correct password, and when I click ok, the Outlook test account settings dialogue box states under tasks: Log onto incoming email server pop3 'failed' and send test email message 'completed'. Under the errors tab, the exact wording is 'Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR invalid user name or password.' There are no other codes. Mail is successfully transmitted into the account and I can see it in Webmail. I have two other accounts working successfully inside my Outlook 2010 client and they have worked successfully for several years, including after having to change ports/settings after the January 2018 security change. Thank you for looking into this. I have changed the password, and tried various things but to no avail.

Santa_Claus
      New Contributor

Can this be escalated to second level support?  I have been able to confirm the issue is *NOT* Outlook related.  I can create a separate profile, or go to another computer, and create a fresh "profile" and re-create any other Cox.Net email account successfully in Outlook 2010.  I can see "test messages" going into the SantaClaus@cox.net account webmail, but re-prompting for the POP3 user name and password when I create the account in Outlook 2010.  I even have SantaClaus@cox.net mail being auto-forwarded into another of my email accounts and I receive it back into my Outlook 2010 client.  Please advise if I can get this escalated to 2nd level support or someone can actually look at why the POP3 server is taking issue with this account on the Cox system

CarolLM
        Former Moderator
        Hi there, we'd like to look further into this. To do so, please send a message to us via a Twitter direct message, Facebook private message or email to cox.help@cox.com, include a link to this and your complete address and account name. -Thanks, Carol