Forum Discussion

Saxworld
New Contributor III
6 years ago

Terrible packet loss while playing and streaming all video games using Gigablast

So, every since I got COX service I have had unbearable levels of packet loss. As stated above I am currently using the gigablast service which has 1000mbps down and 35mbps up speeds. The packet loss only gets worse throughout the day and I haven't had a day where my packet loss has been stable at even 1% packet loss. I have called customer support multiple times and they only send their useless technicians that claim that there are no problems in the system. Out of the 100 that have come out some have revealed that there is an issue and that the field team needs to come fix the tap outside the house. You would think this is where everything gets fixed. But no, since this is an intermittent issue they see there is no issue on their side and simply close my ticket without telling me. The logic on the side of these so called technicians is preposterous. I simply have no idea what to do with COX at this point as it has been over a month now since I first reported this issue. I really hope someone here can help me resolve this **.

THINGS I HAVE DONE:

Replaced modem and router

changed all my lan cables

factory reset my hard wired pc

used cox's panoramic router modem combo

PLEASE HELP ME HERE IM GETTING 3%-25% loss in the mornings until around 5 and can go up to 75% in the afternoons. 

12 Replies

OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Cox is intentionally throttling bandwidth and is packet filtering gaming traffic. On June 11th 2018 net neutrality regulations were abolished by the FCC and internet providers can essentially do what they want with their network. Cox don't have to tell you what they are doing so you end up thinking there is an issue with your system or wiring to your house. You may see some improvements on some days but overall they do this to avoid customers from documenting a steady overall consistent packet loss and bandwidth throttling issue. This is not new with Cox as you can see from visiting dlsforums.com or from reading other recent posts on this forum. Don't expect any improvements.

Saxworld
      New Contributor III

Agreed man honestly they fix it for a day from their system and the next day POOF! But my question to u is. How do they deal with these streamers, etc, whose life earnings are based on internet?

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      The Title II section of the Net Neutrality rules does not impact Cox's commitment to Net Neutrality. Cox does not block, throttle or otherwise interfere with anyone's desire to go where they want on the Internet, and we have always been committed to providing an open Internet experience for our customers.

https://bit.ly/2UNs8Hq

-Kevin
    J_Kopp
    New Contributor III

Another day, another rip-off by Cox. it's not just you, they are criminally negligent and have zero incentive to behave like decent people. 

Morgan1982
    Contributor II

The panoramic wifi, is it the arris tg1682? If so it uses a puma 6 chipset and they are known to have packet loss and buffer bloat issues. I changed mine out for the cox technicolor gateway which uses a broadcom chipset and does have that reported issue. With that said, i still get the same packet loss issue as you described and today has been the worst. In game packet loss, netflix constant buffering and general browsing is just slow as hell. Not sure where the problem is but man i wish i could just get a stable connection. You are not alone on this issue, there are 100s of us with this issue on these cox forums.

Saxworld
      New Contributor III

yeah I thought about that, but the router I had before this, an asus nighthawk, still had packet loss but yes your logic makes sense.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Saxworld, upon reviewing the traceroute you've provided, we are unable to detect any issues on the Cox network. As far as the timeout requests, this is normal ICMP deprioritization. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Saxworld, we want you to enjoy the products and services we have to offer, and we are truly sorry you're having these issues. I ran some tests on your modem and we're not seeing any packet loss as of this moment. When you play a game, are you on a hard-wired connection or wireless connection? Would you be able to let us know what your speed tests are so we can check your upload speeds?

www.cox.com/.../speedtest.html

Providing a traceroute to the server of the game you're playing would also be beneficial, as this can help us to determine where the packet loss may be occurring. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Saxworld
      New Contributor III

Hi so I do use a wired connection and as for a trace route could you pls explain the process for that as I’m unsure. As for my upload speeds they are actually perfectly fine. I always get around 35 mbps up

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Saxworld, we recommend running an Ethernet cord from the back of your PC or laptop, and plug it in directly to the modem. In doing so, this takes the wireless network out of the equation and provides more accurate speed test results. In regards to a traceroute, this sends packets of data from one server to another, which may help to determine where on a server the packet loss is coming from. To get started, simply pull up your CMD (command prompt), type in the word tracert, tap space and enter the IP Address of the videogame server you're trying to play on. I hope this helps. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator