Forum Discussion

Meika
New Contributor
6 years ago

Extreme data usage

My data usage is grossly increased within the last few months. Our network is password protected. The data usage reported by Cox is technology impossible. We would have to be running servers out of our household, which we are not,  in order to use the amount of data reported on a daily bases. There are only two adults and one small child in our household and COX is charging me for using over 1034 mb of data in less in 30 days! What's interesting is they have a large amount of data being used when I'm at work. Is anyone else having this problem? I've contacted COX a few times in regards to this problem and they state they don't know how to help us. Is this a class action problem?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    J_Kopp
    New Contributor III

The amount of data we use should not even be a concern. It never was before. Greed is Cox's core principle.

Think about this: since when does technology  and product quality go backwards over time? Answer: IT DOESN'T! unless we're talking about Cox Communications that is

. I remember back in the 80's when they used to rip my grandma off for some huge amount of money JUST TO WATCH THE BASEBALL GAMES! and they only televised like 40 games!!!

If the politicians would get off their **** and do some good old fashioned trust busting to get rid of these unaccountable monopolies, they would never be able to get away with how they are stiffing everyone. 

Parrothead
    New Contributor III

I'm having the same problem. It started a few billing cycles ago. I went from using 10 gigs a day to 50 gigs a day according to Cox. The first cycle they said I was at 85% of the 1024 gigs allowed and the following cycle, I exceeded it. They have credited my account for overages so far but it seems that they want me to upgrade my service. We have only been using one hard wired desktop with no streaming or gaming. I've replaced my modem and router, changed passwords, turned the wifi off of my phone and it keeps happening. If I unplug my computer from the modem, the usage stops but like you said, it increases even when we aren't home if I don't unplug it. Cox technicians have come to my house twice and nothing has helped. I'm at my wit's end here.

ChristopherC
      Former Moderator
      Parrotthead, have you made sure there are no virus' on your PC's? That is an awful large amount of data to be using and is larger than normal customer use. If I download several games I still do not reach 36 GB of data. Maybe streaming 4K TV could reach that. Are you leaving the desk top PC's on all the time? Chris C
        Parrothead
        New Contributor III

Yes, I had Microsoft remotely access my computer and I also took it to their store, I've run 2 different types of security scans, replaced my modem and router and changed my password. I'm at a loss. I'm tracking my use with my task manager and it doesn't show anywhere near that kind of data use but Cox says I am and they can't tell me why. I may have to see if there is another provider, even though I've been a Cox customer for 30 years (It was Dimension Cable before Cox took over).

JamesDH
    New Contributor III

Are you connecting to Netflix or other streaming services? They can greatly inflate the amount of data useage for a given time period when you are using them even via the Contour 2 receiver.

Eric_V
    New Contributor II

Netflix uses a lot up especially if you leave it on auto. If you have a 4k tv consider it easily double-four times as much as regular 1080p movies/tv. If you have xbox or playstation a lot of updates to games are now 50+ GB each.