Forum Discussion

jambwal11
New Contributor
6 years ago

Chronic Packet Loss

I am experiencing chronic packet loss and interruptions of service.  I have had techs out who claim they have resolved the issue, but it persists.  It regularly makes the service unusable for several minutes/hours at a time.  Does anyone have a solution for this?

5 Replies

mil79
    New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue.  It started happening about this time.  My upload speed just drops from 30 megs to .5 megs randomly.  Also having consistant slowness when hitting specific AWS servers (like with the Ring application).  It definitely looks like something changed within the Cox network somewhere that is causing issues as you can find several threads mentioning issues with AWS.  I have not had any issues until around 1/15/2019 (I can't remember the exact date but it was somewhere around there).

NicholeC
      Hi Mil79,

I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing some upload troubles. How are you testing your speeds?
        mil79
        New Contributor II

Hey Nichole,

I test through The Speedtest.net app and the the one available on the Cox website.  I generally only test when I have issues connecting to my work computer and almost every time the speeds have dropped.  Here are some logs of past tests:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/en99v2ns3y89g50/SpeedTest1.png?dl=0

I have also called Ring letting them know of my issues with videos lately and they have confirmed that they are seeing a lot of packet loss and even when there is none, the connection speed has not exceeded 1 meg from my side since 1/15.  My phones speed tests always shown the upload speed being fine from my WiFi signal however it does not have the speed on those devices.  I have two ring devices and both have had issues starting the same day so I don’t think it’s an hardware issues and the speed issues are still occurring.  I feel it’s either a packet shaping thing that’s throttling anything coming from it or some other issue from Cox to AWS.  I was gonna try to setup a VPN between the devices to check if I can get the speed back going through a different channel but I don’t have access to that server anymore to test.

Here is a link to when I had this problem in the past that got resolved at some point but it has basically come back again.

us.battle.net/.../20744204383