Forum Discussion

Beia
New Contributor
6 years ago

Data usage

Wondering why my data usage has increased dramatically since I dropped our tv service?   91 gig in one day and the past months have been About  <188 gigs for the month?   Daily usage has maxed at 7 gigs per day during this billing cycle ANYONE has this issue? no changes in our usage.  I check for malware  every other day .

4 Replies

will_ditch_cox_
    New Contributor III

Good luck tracking the usage down.  Cox is useless in this area.  Hopefully the FCC or Local Franchise Authorities will crack down on Cox for their crappy bandwidth meter. Note that your cell phone data can be broken down into the apps that have used the data.  Cox is too cheap to provide that capability.  And there is no consumer router that will track your per device bandwidth usage.

I had another example of just how crappy Cox's data usage meter is:

My billing period just ended.  And I'm under the 1TB but here's the lovely message the broken data meter gives me:

"You have exceeded your data plan. Cox will continue to provide you with additional 50 GB blocks of data for $10 each, as needed. Click here to add more data and avoid additional overage charges."

Note that the number displayed for the amount of data I used is below the displayed number for the data I'm allowed to use:

Data Plan: 1024 GB

But the bar is red and I've been told that I went over my usage and will be charged.

It's fraudulent for Cox to be scaring users to upgrade with that error message and a link for them to upgrade when they don't need to upgrade.

It's pretty much criminal for Cox to be charging customers for data usage when they're data meter is always broken.

Momma_D
    New Contributor II

This happened to my daughter last month and now me this month.  I work 8 hours during the day and not home much in the evenings.  I don't do any gaming, I watch you  tube, play words with friends, use face book and Quick books.  and watch some Direct TV.  I changed my password and turned on the traffic meter to make sure Cox is correct in my usage.  I will not pay more for there internet.  I am trying to get a hold of someone that will put a cap on my usage when I have used it all in a month.  My daughter is looking at other options too.  

ColleenD
      Momma D, We do not throttle or turn off usage. We have implemented notifications to help customers be aware of their usage and suggest monitoring usage at http://bit.ly/CoxMyDataUsage or in the Cox Connect app. You can learn more about data usage and additional plans available for those who may need them at bit.ly/ExploreCoxDataUsage -Colleen