Forum Discussion

TheGeek
New Contributor
6 years ago

New Gigabit Install Not getting Gigabit Speed

Just finished up after have 2 Technicians come out, 1 to install which he could not get Gigabit Speeds on his hand held tester,  The 2nd technician replaced the modem and was able to achieve Gigabit speeds on his tester. 

But using Hardwired CAT6 Directly connected to the Modem bypassing all Household equipment,  On 3 different laptops, 2 Windows 1 MacOS,  all with Confirmed Gigabit 1000T Ethernet Ports and Solid State Drives,  Cannot get speeds anything above 400Mbps.   I was able on my Desktop Computer with a Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet, get 550 speeds a couple of times.  

Their handheld tester use the same Ookla Speedtest and Even confirmed was using the same server on speedtest.

Any Ideas, is there a setting in the laptops Preventing the speeds? Is there a particular Flow Control setting? Ive forced them all to 1000T full duplex.  I would say its my home network, but Ive use brand new Cat6 Patch cables to my laptop direct to the modem on Port 1, and results are the same, so im 90% sure its not my network, and its gotta be a setting with in the computers limiting the speed.

No RepliesBe the first to reply