Forum Discussion

djones
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Upgraded to Gigablast but speeds way below Gigabit

Hello

Looking for some help. I have recently upgraded to Gigablst internet and have been having nothing but problems. Speeds are at best 425. I get that on several computers and a Synology NAS. All are more than capable of getting the speeds I desire. I have had several techs come out and bring their box which reports 1+ gig. That does me no good as I don't browse or download with one of their units, I use a computer. The tech two times before said he would come back in two days with a new modem and laptop to verify speed. He never showed up. Called back to vent and reschedule a new appointment making the same request. A new tech showed up with a modem but no laptop to confirm speeds. Same story as all the others told me. I am concerned because I see multiple posts on this forum with the same problems that are all locked, but none showing any kind of resolution. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

8 Replies

CarolLM
    Former Moderator
    Hi there, when you run your speed test have you bypassed the router and are you hardwired with the Ethernet connected only to your modem and your computer/laptop? I see the modem you're using is qualified to handle the Gigablast speed. -Thanks, Carol
    CarolLM
    Former Moderator
    Hi there, also when reviewing your account I see during your service appointment today the Tech noted the proper speed is received when hardwired to the modem; however when tested through your router and switch the speeds drastically drop. With that outcome you may want to confirm your additional equipment supports the speed you subscribe to. -Carol
      djones
      New Contributor II

Hello Carol

My equipment is as follows:

Modem - Netgear CM1000

Router - Netgear Nighthawk X4S

Switch - Dell 5224

Computer - Dell T7500 3.46 Xeon processors x2, 12 GB ram, integrated Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit ethernet card, fresh operating system install

I have run speed tests connected directly to router with several computers only to get the same results. I achieved the same results with the router that he brought, it made no difference. Am I to assume that there is something wrong with your modems? The tech did not even know the Dell 5224 was a switch, he thought it was a server, so I was doubting his networking knowledge. I am not against equipment on my end being the problem, that is why I have been requesting that they bring a laptop with them to verify the speeds. If my equipment is the problem and they can show me, I am more than willing to replace, but I think my equipment is more than capable of getting the speeds that I should be.

Thanks

Dan

MarkM1
        Former Moderator
        Dan,

We do want to see what may be causing your issue. I went to check your modem again & it is offline at the present time. Would you let us know what lights are currently on the modem at the present time? We are not reporting an outage in your area as well. Please reach out to let us know what you find.

Mark M.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator