Forum Discussion

Killjoy
New Contributor
6 years ago

VPN compatability with COX Panoramic modem/router

I recently became a new Cox customer and installed their Silver service using a gigabit Panoramic modem/router. Before becoming a Cox customer I had IPvanish VPN installed on my system. When I turned on my VPN my speed went from over 300 mbs to less than 20 mbs on both the wire and the WiFi. Clearly a major compatability problem and I had to discontinue my VPN service. I still want the protectection a VPN can give me. Is there anyway or a VPN product that will work with my set up?

5 Replies

edzilla
    New Contributor II

I've had this issue but not just with cox. Usually VPN will slow down  your speeds depending where the server you are using is located. For example you might get 10mbs using a server in California but get 30mbs using one in your state. It also depends on the VPN you use. Some have speed optimized servers while others don't save your activity logs. If you want faster speed I suggest looking up vpns that specialize in fast servers. hope that gives some insight  

Killjoy
      New Contributor

When I was on Centurylink with 45mbs service I was getting better speed. I could try different VPN's but was hoping someone else has already done that and could advise me.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

"No logs" is an elusive term.  There are different types of logs and different types of devices logging.  There will always be a digital trail on a provider's network.  Even ExpressVPN maintains session logs for an unspecified time.

It shouldn't be about logs but the location of the logs.  That's why US-based companies have off-shore servers:  to protect logs from court orders.

If you're just protecting your banking info, yes, speed servers in the US would help.  If you're doing naughty-boy stuff, look for fast servers off-shore.  Encryption should be a factor.  I've read some providers encrypting at 2048-bit.  That's insane encryption compared to our WiFi protocols.

Almost every review recommends either NordVPN or ExpressVPN.