Forum Discussion

Michael-MS
New Contributor III
6 years ago

Las Vegas - Severe Upload Packet Loss

Over the past month, my upload packet loss has gotten out of control. The issue occurs constantly with 1-2% packet loss on upload shown via Netstats in games like Fortnite or 1-2% packet loss on upload while streaming to Twitch. I have the 100/10 plan with Unlimited Data because I do a lot of gaming and streaming with my room mate.

The issue drastically deteriorates the longer I stay on and/or fluctuates dramatically. At its worse, Fortnite shows 20% packet loss throughout a game. Discord connection goes from GREEN to YELLOW then RED and my voice turns into a robot for others to hear. And streaming to Twitch drops anywhere from 20-25% dropped frames. The drastic deterioration happens within 1 hour, every hour, at all times of the day.

These issues occur on multiple PC's running brand new hardware (2700x Ryzen 7, 16 gb ram, 144hz monitor with 180 fps, vega64). The issue also occurs on my PS4 as well. I have a Nighthawk X4 router that has been working fine for the past year, while the problems started happening very recently in the past month.

When the issue is not happening, a speed test (google fiber) returns 95/10. When the issue starts to happen, the download fluctuates between 50-75 and upload is non-existant at between 0.5 and 2 (TEST is done AFTER shutting off all games and data usage).

I upgraded my cable modem from a Cisco DPC3010 to a SB6190 at the advice of a Cox Technician on my first call to support. Then I returned the SB modem due to the Intel chip report and switched to a Netgear CM600. All 3 modems experience the same packet loss, although the SB6190 seemed to perform the worst.

Technician was here on Sunday Dec 16th and he removed a filter on my line to boost the signal strength. This did not improve the connection at all and my issue persists. The technician said he would create a ticket for me because he only "handles connection from House to Pole" and that the next step is to check the node. I am waiting on an update on that ticket and have not heard back from him. He said he would call back yesterday to confirm the ticket. When I call the 800 tech support, they don't seem to be able to find the ticket and my old ticket was closed and apparently fixed. This is not the case.

Can someone please let me know what needs to be done to get this fixed? Is the ticket created or did it get lost?

Also, this issue seems to be very common in the Phoenix and Socal area to AWS services. I am hoping that I am not a part of that routing issue. Is there an IP for Fortnite that I can traceroute or pingplot to provide more details? When I am experiencing the issue, I also cannot ping even Google. Doing a ping -n 1000 google.com results in about 50% of them timing out while I'm experiencing my problem. When i'm at 1-2% loss, I can ping Google just fine. When I call into Tech Support while experiencing the issue, the tech support is able to replicate the packet loss as well.

Just to clarify, according to the technician, there are literally only 6 houses on my node. I'm not in an apartment complex, and I'm located in central Las Vegas about 1 mile from Fremont Street. The homes here are older, built in 1970s and I suspect the problem could be with my Node? Most of the problems I am experiencing are between the hours of 2-6 AM as well so I'm probably the only person even using the service on my node. Gaming, ping, and packet loss on Cox at this location has been amazing for 2 years and everything is horrible now for the past month or so.

Thanks,

Michael

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Michael-MS
    New Contributor III

Still getting 2% average packet loss on Fortnite, Twitch, and Discord. Both are on AWS WEST. COX are you really unable to fix this? I have Century Link installed last week and there is 0% loss. This is YOUR PROBLEM with YOUR CONNECTION to AWS. This is NOT the consumer's responsibility to contact AWS. You are my INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER and it is your RESPONSIBILITY to troubleshoot the connection to the #1 GAME, the #1 STREAMING SERVICE and the #1 VOICE APP. FIX YOUR ROUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LVbrokeninterne
    New Contributor II

I'm in Las Vegas with the same issue.  Techs came and replaced the drop from the street to my house, and also the one from the side of my house to my modem.  When I run PingPlotter, the packet loss starts immediately as the packets get to the Cox network.  I think we need to make an FCC complaint to move this to the appropriate people.  If we all make complaints something might happen, because otherwise it seems like they don't care to look into it deeper.

StephanieS
      LVbrokeninternet,

Please send an email to: cox.help@cox.net and include your full name and address so I can take a look and see what's been happening as far as help and field services go. Thanks! Please add to subject line that this is regarding packet loss issues with gaming.

StephanieS
    Michael-MS
    New Contributor III

Tech just left my house now and confirmed everything is perfect. The issue is beyond somewhere. Fortnite at Amaxon Web Services is getting worse every week. Now it is a constant 1-3% packet loss and worse at night between 5-10%.

Even pinging google results in loss during normal hours:

Ping statistics for 172.217.14.110:
        Packets: Sent = 269, Received = 268, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 15ms

Please make sure this is escalated. I've had 3 technicians come to my house and the issue is not here.

Thank You,

Michael

RomanPat
      Contributor

It won't be because they feel as if the problem isn't at all related to them!

They will leave us few out to fend for ourselves by asking a cheap customer to call a multi billion dollar conglomerate which indeed doesn't use phone lines for their support!

Michael-MS
        New Contributor III

Are you experiencing packet loss to Google as well? My packet loss is to basically everyone. Is yours limited to AWS? If you can show some packet loss to google or other services maybe the issue is more severe than they are aware?

I'm not saying that they should ignore the problem with Fortnite, but for me it's a lot bigger than Fortnite and I would expect my issue to be resolved.

roy3805
    New Contributor II

I’m having the same problem. And a lot others as well. I have the 1000/35 plan I I have fortnite packetloss strictly on the upload. And I drop frames while streaming to YouTube/twitch with any bitrate over 2500kbps. I’m paying for 35mb upload and can’t even use it without problems. The support here will just give you a runaround with check splitters, connect directly to modem, we will send a tech out to check your line, send a ping plotter. I’m currently looking for another place to stay because I do a lot of gaming/streaming online and Cox seems to be horrible for it. And cox is my only ISP where I live.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Roy, we understand that packet loss can be a nightmare, especially when it comes to streaming. We ran some tests on your modem, and your signal levels appear to be healthy, and within specifications. It's quite difficult to locate any signal issues from our end as of right now. At this point, our best course of action would be to send out a technician to check all service-related equipment outside of your home, as well as the interior of your home. If you'd like us to send us a technician, please forward your post to cox.help@cox.com, so we can get this set-up for you. -Kevin M, Cox Support Forum Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Michael, we are truly sorry that you're experiencing packet loss and issues with Fortnite and Twitch. We are actively investigating this inquiry, and it is now being escalated. Can you please forward this request to cox.help@cox.com? I may need to request private information from you (such as a phone number). We would appreciate any further assistance you could provide us. -Kevin M, Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Michael-MS
      New Contributor III

Thanks, I'm corresponding with Maria via email now. It looks like the technician that came out did not escalate anything. So back to square 1 for technician visit.

Michael-MS
      New Contributor III

Two weeks ago, the problem subsided a bit to 1-2% packet loss, which is still unacceptable. I just got back from a 5 day xmas break to visit family and now the packet loss is back up to 5-10%. My signals are great and I don't know what to do. You've sent 2 techs out here and the issue is not at my house. Please let me know what else can be done.

Brian_M
    New Contributor

I am also experiencing sudden 100% packet loss once every hour or so. Keep this updated with any resolutions you may have. I've already contacted Cox and they want to charge me 75 dollars to come out and take a look. Not interested in paying this at all. I am also located in Vegas, I am up on the North West side. This packet loss didn't start until a month or so ago.

Becky
      Hi Brian.M, your modem log shows multiple instances of WiFi interference. WiFi interference can come from the following devices: cordless headsets, wireless speakers, baby monitors, cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc., so make sure your Gateway is kept in an open area away from these devices. If you’re in an area with many different WiFi networks such as an apartment complex, your neighbors’ WiFi networks may be interfering with yours. You might try logging into the Gateway and changing the wireless radio settings to use channel 1, 6, or 11 and see if the problems gets better or worse. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Ampsonic
    New Contributor II

I too am experiencing intermittent packet loss. Just a few moments ago, it was as high as 8% packet loss: 

As you can see, the packet loss is introduced right at the first hop onto Cox's network. I've had techs out who have replaced all the coax from the street to my home, I've tried different modems, ect.. It seems that this is an issue in Cox's network. 

WinMTR statistics

Host % Sent Recv Best Avrg Wrst Last
    erl.home.local 0 384 384 0 0 3 1
    10.77.0.1 8 297 275 0 55 411 6
    100.127.5.14 8 297 275 0 55 409 9
    100.120.102.34 8 297 275 0 57 412 7
    langbprj01-ae1.rd.la.cox.net 8 297 275 0 60 425 12
    70.191.61.10 8 297 275 0 59 420 17
    ae1-br02-eqla1.as57976.net 8 293 270 0 79 614 15
    be2-pe01-eqla1.as57976.net 8 297 275 0 59 421 14
    24.105.30.129 8 293 270 0 58 368 14
      Becky
      Hi Ampsonic, your modem is reporting a high number of T3 errors. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to your modem? If so, and bypassing or replacing the splitter does not improve your connectivity issues, I suggest a service call. If you'd like my team to schedule a service call for you, email your full name, address, and a link to this page to cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Michael-MS
    New Contributor III

I've had 3 in home technicians promise to escalate this ticket to maintenance. To this date, none of them have done so. The last tech on the 29th of Dec saw that my packets were dropping but could not see any issues on the line. So I guess that means there's nothing they can do. Can you all figure this out?