Forum Discussion

RomanPat
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

One condensed sentence that sums up the entire problem: When cox users go to utilize there upstream while connecting to services on AWS such as playing FORTNITE or streaming to TWITCH their incurring packet loss causing online gaming to be impossible or d

Hello Cox,

I'm a fellow gigablast internet subscriber that is having the same exact issues as A LOT OF people in the southern California region. I'm in San Diego and I have amazing download speeds reaching that of 950+ consistently.

Speedtest results: www.speedtest.net/.../7867448045

Networking Equipment:

Tried 2 different Docsis 3.1's and both encountered same issue thus not LAN

Cat 7 cables

Multiple devices tested: Xbox X, 2,000$ PC (Both experience the same packet loss symptoms)

^The only reason I listed the above is to give you a sense that my equipment is top of the line equipment. The data loss isn't coming from the equipment nor the LAN

Now the huge problem which degrades the entire service is this constant packet loss while using upstream towards AWS servers. I have diagnosed this through using ping plotter and viewing packet loss in between hubs passing data. The intensive upstream applications that I have experienced packet loss with are twitch (while streaming) and Fortnite. The Fortnite lag is so unbearable. All throughout the day 24/7 there is a constant nonstop packet loss ranging from 1%-6% then sporadic jumps up to 32% or so. It literally makes the game impossible to play as gunfights within the game are losing frames and data causing me to be essentially at a disadvantage 24/7.

I understand sending out Techs is the first option and step to resolving this, however, by the looks of this issue it seems systematic. We as customers pay for our service to dependable and up to date as this is 2018. We want to play this game while it's popular and not 4 months from now when you deserve to believe this is a huge problem.There is in reality data loss on the upstream end of things causing Fortnite to be unplayable. The only game I play right now is Fortnite thus me having to be subjected and forced into packet loss by an incompetent ISP who either is over utilizing nodes or using incompetent hubs that incur data loss is petty in 2018.

I have had 3 techs and the most recent one(DEC7) said there was data loss and they would have maintenance crews out there and if by Sunday the packet loss is till there notify someone.

One condensed sentence that sums up the entire problem: When cox users go to utilize there upstream while connecting to services on AWS such as playing FORTNITE or streaming to TWITCH their incurring packet loss causing online gaming to be impossible or degraded services. 

I need this fixed please! I want to play fornite and knowing that every single gunfight is utterly affected by ISP issues makes it useless and a waste to play.

• I HAVE COME TO THE END OF ROADS WITH COX AND THEIR SUPPORT...

It is a verifiable problem that many cox users experience data loss at 1% or more on their favorite and most popular game FORTNITE!

After speaking to the highest corporate level of escalation as in nothing can GO further than that....

THEY SAID THIS AND I ASKED IF I COULD QUOTE:

"WE DONT COVER ONLINE GAMES TO CLOUD BASED SERVICES"

UMM EXCUSE ME ONE OF THE ONLY REASONS PEOPLE GET INTERNET IS FOR ONLINE GAMING...IS THIS A JOKE?

THEY THEN INSTRUCTED ME TO REACH OUT TO AWS AS THEY AREN'T COGNITIVE ENOUGH TO HAVE THEIR BILLION DOLLAR CONNECTIONS DO IT FOR US!

SHE PRETTY MUCH TOLD ME THERE ISN'T ANYTHING THEY WANT TO DO AND THAT IM OUT TO FEND FOR MYSELF ON THE ISSUE.

This is after thousands of cox customers posts around the internet and many verifiable and documented instances of packet loss using default pathways to AWS applications. 

AN ISSUE THOUSANDS OF COX CUSTOMERS ARE EXPERIENCING ALL AROUND THE NATION ON THE MOST POPULAR GAME IN THE WORLD AT THE MOMENT!

AS OF 12/26/2018 MANY COX CUSTOMERS ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES WITH AWS PLATFORM SERVICES AND COX ISN'T THE TYPE OF COMPANY TO FIX SOMETHING THEY HAVE A DEGREE APART OF.

ANOTHER TAKE AWAY IS THAT COX AS OF 2018 DOESN'T HAVE A SYSTEM TO TROUBLESHOOT PROBLEMS IN AN ACCORDINGLY FASHION AND DUMP MANY OF THEIR OWN NETWORK ISSUES ON TO CUSTOMERS WHO INDEED DONT HAVE THE RESOURCES TO TRULY GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT. Its literally a real life scenario of finding a needle in the haystack which in return decreases performance in diagnostic measure and spawns an atmosphere of a company that can't even troubleshoot themselves.

SPEEDIFY AS of 12/26/2018 FIXED MY PACKET LOSS PROVING IN PHYSICAL REALITY THAT THE DEFAULT PATH SERVED TO ME DOES INCUR DATA LOSS.

Executive Summary of entire problem:

-4+ techs to apartment who all said onsite problems were resolved

-BLANKET OF PACKET LOSS @ 1% - 5% ON FORTNITE STILL PREVALENT

-Speedify fixed packet loss and proves default path incurs data loss or there is an apparent problem

-lots of posts around the web that also share the same symptoms on the most popular game at the moment

AS IT SHOULD....WHEN A NEW USER GETS COX THEY SHOULD HAVE NO PACKET LOSS TO ANY SERVICE....right now you're executive escalation team even reassured me that you don't want to give a helping hand and that this issue isn't to a degree related to your service when indeed you do have a play in this problem

The problem is the way you handle power users who are more educated then 90% of your employees. You act in a condescending way that paints a Utopian side for you that in all universes Cox won't be the one to blame when it actually hurts your stance even further. A company that wishes to not acknowledge and leave many customers unanswered is one that needs a different managing team altogether. Maybe your board should be voted upon and have people that do understand the need for online gaming.

A company that fails to acknowledge abnormalities and decides to ignore creates a resenting base of consumers who know they have true issues with the services they're served.

And the sad thing is this is over a free to play video game...they literally will keep you in a nonstop loop of diagnosing when in reality it is out of LAN's

Unfortunately as this issue isn't resolved and all I use my connection for is online gaming specifically using fornite I'm going to have to document all of the findings around the internet and create a video to solidify our stance as consumers being forced into default paths that incur data loss.

At this point I feel as if cox will get this fixed behind the scene and one day ill wake with no packet loss and all of these posts would be considered irrelevant right. Wrong as of 12/26/2018 I have been experiencing packet loss on fortnite for months now !

The fact is is that the cox executive level stated they CANNOT BE COUNTED ON TO PROVIDE A DEPENDABLE CONNECTION FREE OF PACKET LOSS TO FORNite...if you're a fortnite player and you hear this that's more than enough to turn you away! or sure the service will work for many but if your in those select few we could give a hoot about you because are revenues allow us that! If you're one of those few we can't do anything more and you go contact the server platform we serve millions of connections to as we don't want to be bother with this. Your pr is just not cognitive enough to understand this 2018...

10 Replies

• 12/22/2018 Update

My packet loss is still occurring and this is the funny thing!

When I tried using speedify it literally gave me no problems with packet loss on whatever FPS limit I set it to!

Then I took speedify off and would you look at that the packet loss is back again!

Does this mean that the routing that Cox uses is the reason for this specific fortnite upstream packet loss? becky

Here are the videos of the on/off speedify with unlimited fps setting which is the most packets to be sent:

Video with speedify off and using regular cox connection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdzFLSlY-xc&feature=youtu.be

Video with speedify ENABLED : www.youtube.com/watch

Within the 2 videos it shows my nothing-helping-the-route default cox connection dropping packets continuously  THEN

in the speedify video you see that when using a program that changes the route NOT A SINGLE PACKET on the upload side is dropped within 20 mins of gaming. 

Can you tell me what I should do? My tech cleared up all the on site red flags!

The funny thing is a video by a reputable network youtuber (Battlenonsense) stated that the programs that change the pathway to servers only work if the default isp pathway incurs problems. This is a classic example of that, where with the route changing program, many customers see the packet loss evaporate out of thin air as if it was the boogeyman.

Many users have tried and even gone as far as to share the advice to use this program and this is the huge red flag that Cox should understand!

They're online support forum is having to use third party software to make a connection work as it should. I don't want to drag down Cox as you guys and gals are really helpful!

Can we have this in someway forwarded to the team that would have the resources to diagnose the routes of southern California and other places to aws servers where Epic hosts Fortnite?

Would I need my tech, who by the way is very understanding, confirm this in person? I could show him speedify on and speedify off!?

• I HAVE COME TO THE END OF ROADS WITH COX AND THEIR SUPPORT...

It is a verifiable problem that many cox users experience data loss at 1% or more on their favorite and most popular game FORTNITE!

After speaking to the highest corporate level of escalation as in nothing can GO further than that....

THEY SAID THIS AND I ASKED IF I COULD QUOTE:

"WE DONT COVER ONLINE GAMES TO CLOUD BASED SERVICES"

UMM EXCUSE ME ONE OF THE ONLY REASONS PEOPLE GET INTERNET IS FOR ONLINE GAMING...IS THIS A JOKE?

THEY THEN INSTRUCTED ME TO REACH OUT TO AWS AS THEY AREN'T COGNITIVE ENOUGH TO HAVE THEIR BILLION DOLLAR CONNECTIONS DO IT FOR US!

SHE PRETTY MUCH TOLD ME THERE ISN'T ANYTHING THEY WANT TO DO AND THAT IM OUT TO FEND FOR MYSELF ON THE ISSUE.

This is after thousands of cox customers posts around the internet and many verifiable and documented instances of packet loss using default pathways to AWS applications. 

AN ISSUE THOUSANDS OF COX CUSTOMERS ARE EXPERIENCING ALL AROUND THE NATION ON THE MOST POPULAR GAME IN THE WORLD AT THE MOMENT!

AS OF 12/26/2018 MANY COX CUSTOMERS ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES WITH AWS PLATFORM SERVICES AND COX ISN'T THE TYPE OF COMPANY TO FIX SOMETHING THEY HAVE A DEGREE APART OF.

ANOTHER TAKE AWAY IS THAT COX AS OF 2018 DOESN'T HAVE A SYSTEM TO TROUBLESHOOT PROBLEMS IN AN ACCORDINGLY FASHION AND DUMP MANY OF THEIR OWN NETWORK ISSUES ON TO CUSTOMERS WHO INDEED DONT HAVE THE RESOURCES TO TRULY GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT. Its literally a real life scenario of finding a needle in the haystack which in return decreases performance in diagnostic measure and spawns an atmosphere of a company that can't even troubleshoot themselves.

SPEEDIFY AS of 12/26/2018 FIXED MY PACKET LOSS PROVING IN PHYSICAL REALITY THAT THE DEFAULT PATH SERVED TO ME DOES INCUR DATA LOSS.

Executive Summary of entire problem:

-4+ techs to apartment who all said onsite problems were resolved

-BLANKET OF PACKET LOSS @ 1% - 5% ON FORTNITE STILL PREVALENT

-Speedify fixed packet loss and proves default path incurs data loss or there is an apparent problem

-lots of posts around the web that also share the same symptoms on the most popular game at the moment

AS IT SHOULD....WHEN A NEW USER GETS COX THEY SHOULD HAVE NO PACKET LOSS TO ANY SERVICE....right now you're executive escalation team even reassured me that you don't want to give a helping hand and that this issue isn't to a degree related to your service when indeed you do have a play in this problem

The problem is the way you handle power users who are more educated then 90% of your employees. You act in a condescending way that paints a Utopian side for you that in all universes Cox won't be the one to blame when it actually hurts your stance even further. A company that wishes to not acknowledge and leave many customers unanswered is one that needs a different managing team altogether. Maybe your board should be voted upon and have people that do understand the need for online gaming.

A company that fails to acknowledge abnormalities and decides to ignore creates a resenting base of consumers who know they have true issues with the services they're served.

And the sad thing is this is over a free to play video game...they literally will keep you in a nonstop loop of diagnosing when in reality it is out of LAN's

Unfortunately as this issue isn't resolved and all I use my connection for is online gaming specifically using fornite I'm going to have to document all of the findings around the internet and create a video to solidify our stance as consumers being forced into default paths that incur data loss.

At this point I feel as if cox will get this fixed behind the scene and one day ill wake with no packet loss and all of these posts would be considered irrelevant right. Wrong as of 12/26/2018 I have been experiencing packet loss on fortnite for months now !

The fact is is that the cox executive level stated they CANNOT BE COUNTED ON TO PROVIDE A DEPENDABLE CONNECTION FREE OF PACKET LOSS TO FORNite...if you're a fortnite player and you hear this that's more than enough to turn you away! or sure the service will work for many but if your in those select few we could give a hoot about you because are revenues allow us that! If you're one of those few we can't do anything more and you go contact the server platform we serve millions of connections to as we don't want to be bother with this. Your pr is just not cognitive enough to understand this 2018...

• NOV 12/9 UPDATE: Supervisor reassured me and maintenance crews are on there way Monday or Tuesday. I'll let everyone know how this possible solution goes.

Becky
      Hi RomanPat, we'll keep an eye on the maintenance ticket and let you know when the issues are resolved. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Tickerguy
    New Contributor

Are you on IPv6 or IPv4?  If on v6 disable it and see if the problem disappears.

RomanPat
      Contributor

Hey Tickerguy,

Im am not running on ipv6 and am currently running through an ipv4.

• DEC 12/10/18 UPDATE: Called in for a follow-up in which I was notified that the maintenance crews were in the area running diagnostic tests.

sjo102784
      Contributor

Good luck with this, I've been battling the exact same issue for five months in the Phoenix, AZ area.  Cox has given me the run around for just as long, continually suggesting either in home work is necessary, or that field crews are out "examining my area". 

Their infrastructure is poor and they are unwilling to correct the source of the problem.  It's a "defer and wait" tactic when it comes to their customers. 

ifoundit1
    New Contributor

the packet loss is intentional and this is why.

Lifting the Net Neutrality act on behalf of the isp is affecting performance on online mmo games and internet websites already like facebook and youtube . a single server can hold 500 people and probably costs about 5 dollars a day to run stop robbing the people that make you.  a single server to run 1 month would probably cost about 150$ and charging 60 a month  per server gets you about $30000. in 1 year the isp will spend 10,800 on a server and make $360,000 per 500 people in a year and apparently its still not enough they want individual service providers to fork over cash too and that means there gonna have to charge us for there services. imagine paying a monthly fee for using fb its already happening to youtube, what about paying steam to use the service to play the games you already bought sounds fun right. im sure you have noticed it takes a while for discord messages and is getting worse isnt it .and if a service cant pay it will either be unusable because its swamped by adds or unusable because its cripplingly slow. when will they gain enough money to stop trying to charge us for ** that should be free already. its the same thing that happened to TV and why I don't watch TV anymore. When will the FCC Stop Scheming to Steal Money From Our Pockets.

ifoundit1
      New Contributor

its as simple as the isp will refuse to provide packet integrity to a service that isnt willing to charge its customers a monthly subscription fee to use it in oder to pay the isp more money and make the FCC filthier and richer than ever.