Forum Discussion

nathana08
New Contributor
6 years ago

Periodic loss of internet connection

We have been in our new house for a week now, and we have had periodic loss of internet connection constantly. Sometimes the modem won't change, and sometimes it will reset. While streaming a movie in the evening it may drop the connection 5+ times for 5-10 minutes. In a day, I'd guess it will go out 20+ times for at least 5 minutes at a time. And, seems to be worse in the evenings than the mid-day time. I had a call with support who executed a ping test, and apparently there was enough lost in the test that they scheduled a tech to come out to diagnose. The tech who came out, walked in and ran a brief test (while the internet was working) and didn't stick around long enough to see it go out. Just told me to buy a new cat6 cable (which I did, and it didn't fix anything). He didn't check any of the cables outdoors or submit any other further requests. My wife and I work from home 1-2 days a week and right now can't get anything done.

Does anyone/Cox have an answer? If the service is just terrible in Van Buren, AR then we will just cancel. But, they provide the fastest possible internet.

3 Replies

• Hi Nathana08, I'm sorry that the connectivity issues have continued! Your modem metrics and speed test results certainly seem to indicate that we missed something while on-site yesterday. Would you allow us another opportunity to investigate? I suggest that we schedule a service call in the 5pm-7pm time slot so we can try to catch the modem dropping out. If you'd like my team to schedule an appointment for you, please email your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    dandy0918
    New Contributor

hi, did they fix it? i have the same issue for a week now and where i keeps dropping my connection every minute. i have called cox and they were saying its a storm ralated problem but thats like few months ago. i was wondering if i can get help from here

Becky
      Hi Dandy0918, your modem is reporting very poor downstream signal levels and consistent packet loss. A service call is needed to resolve the issues you are experiencing. If you'd like my team to schedule an appointment for you, feel free to email your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator