Forum Discussion

Steve_McInnis
New Contributor
6 years ago

Cox SMTP server on blacklist

Hi. I have received notices from several email recipient servers that the duke smtp server used by Cox is on a blacklist. I followed up with the IT dept of one recipient company and they confirmed this and sent a link to the blacklist showing this. So now I have to use a Google account to send them email. Can a Cox tech please respond and address this? 

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Steve, what was the name of the blacklist? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Phuhque
      New Contributor

FTR, 68.230.241.159 and 68.230.241.147 are both blacklisted on 0spam, Casa CBL, and Sorbs Spam

Becky
        Thanks, Phuhque! I forwarded your report to our mail administrators. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    lupette
    New Contributor

I have been unable to send an email from my iMac using the iCloud smtp server for a month or so. Today I found time to troubleshoot with Apple support. Cox is my isp and I can send from iCloud if I log onto the website but not directly from my iMac. With the tech support agent, we have eliminated every possible problem on my computer or on their server to be the cause of this. The only thing left is that it is a systemic problem with Cox Cable. The tech agent also mentioned that every user who was having this problem, and there are quite a few, also had Cox Cable as their internet service provider.  When I call tech support at Cox, they tell me they cannot fix it unless I pay for the upgraded support. I tell them that it is a systemic problem on their end and that if subscribing to the support upgrade and troubleshooting with them did fix the problem . .  . . It would mean that a class action law suit would be warranted. Could this blacklist issue be the problem?

Becky
      Hi Lupette, what error message are you getting when you try to send an email from your iMac? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Phuhque
      New Contributor

Here are questions that will help isolate the problem.

Is your client configured to use smtp over port 587 over TLS?  Check your settings.

Has there been any change to your network's firewall?

Do you have a residential or commercial account?

Are you trying to connect out to a destined port 25 smtp server?

Cox refuses to let residential customers connect out to destined port 25 for residential customers.  The only way the will allow it is to sign up for a more expensive, slower, commercial account.  Just like they refuse to provide for the purchase of static IP's by residential users.

Do you have access to a telnet client or command shell on your Mac?  if so, you can try to do this to see if you can connect or if you get a refused.

telnet smtp.mail.me.com 25 (this will probably fail with a connection rejected)

telnet smtp.mail.me.com 587 (this uses TLS and still may not work because the client won't have a cert, but you will still see a connection made)