Forum Discussion

15yearcustomer
New Contributor
11 years ago

Overutilized network causing CMTS issues?

Come on the timeouts and reboots are happening 10 to 20 times a day.

Cox must have oversold services gain. Many fellow Cox customers are complaining about this same issue and it is caused by the CMTS not our modems. We have tested our equipment and bought new equipment at the CSR's advice and it still is not working. What does it take for you to fix this issue where it is originating from? Your servers.!!!

My modem is not receiving a response from CMTS and disconnects frequently to re-register since no response is received from the cable company.

A service tech was supposed to come out Thursday August 2, 2013, he was a no show. I can't call anyone because my phone is voip and i just get disconnected because of the no-response CMTS.

Help I have not had a decent internet connection for over a month now.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Trikein
    Contributor III

"My modem is not receiving a response from CMTS and disconnects frequently to re-register since no response is received from the cable company." Could you explain this? I think you might be looking at a log entry and misunderstanding it. Or maybe you have some knowledge I do not. Either way, system wide problems are usually not problems AT the CMTS, but BETWEEN your modem and the CMTS. The signal, either CMTS > Modem or Modem > CMTS is information being sent, and any number of problems can cause that information to  be loss. That is why both the modem and CMTS are configure to repeat, and they have a very special system to communicate when one doesn't hear the other. Thats the point of Timeout  (T1-T4) errors, it isn't just to report the error, but to report it for the purpose of automated correction.

So I think rather then focusing on the "no-response" maybe it would help on what is causing them? Try to find coinciding signal changes, or patterns in time. Not saying your wrong about congestion possibly being the cause, just saying it may be helpful to look at other possibilities which are easier to correct.

1. What are your modems signal level when having the problem, and when not having the problem?

2. What log entries are you observing that seem to happen at the same time you lose VOIP?

3. Does your VOIP modem have logs? If so, what do they say at that time?

Also, here is a decent break down of some of the more important errors to keep track of. Its still kind of technical, but its hard to talk about