Forum Discussion

Morgan1982
Contributor II
6 years ago

Horrible connection issues

Tonight when I got home and connected my phone to wifi I had no internet, so i turned on my xbox thats hardwired and no internet, turned on 3 different tablets and no internet. I had to once again unplug modem and reset to get internet again! This is now daily, every single day im having to do  this. Today was different though because now that my connection is up and running, I am having the worst lagg ever on xbox, netflix, and youtube. Everything is choppy on video that i am streaming and even have to pause video to let it buffer. Literally as im typing this rant my smart tv and xbox lost connection to the internet😠 why am I paying for Ultimate prices just to get ultimate frustration? Im starting to think its the technicolor gateway Cox gave me, i had packet loss with the arris tg1682 and still with the technicolor but atleast the Arris didnt have these connectivity issues. Can someone at cox please figure these problems out. Im not asking or have i ever asked for a discounted bill, im only asking that you figure out a fix. I want to stay with Cox but these issues that happen daily are making me want to consider CL🤢 

10 Replies

MarkM1
    Former Moderator
    Morgan1982,

I checked your modem & show that it has been online for over a day now. How you dropped service since this issue you reported happened? I am not seeing any packet loss on the modem at the present time nor latency.

Mark M.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Morgan1982
      Contributor II

It literally disconnected my xbox and smart tv right now. X is hardwired and tv is wifi.There are no indicator lights on this gateway to show online or offline, just a power light in the back. I do know that my devices are not staying connected through ethernet or wifi. Last night it disconnected at the same time which is why im back here again, it is like clock work. To touch on the packet loss, im not a complete tool, just because you ping my router with icmp packets and it shows you no packet loss means nothing about my problem with packet loss using cox services. My packet loss is coming from somewhere in route through the cox network, i have switched to 4g  tethering and ran both xbox(fortnite/rocketleague) and smart tv(netflix) without a hitch or packet loss. This info is displayed ingame through net debug stats. I also used a neighbors centurylink with my same x and 0 packet loss. This problem is ongoing and has complaints filed to the FCC by other cox subscribers. Im at that point now as well. The last moderator told me everything looks fine on the exact same day a field tech told me they are sending out a net ops tech for noise on the line, she still hasnt responded to that post either. The ops tech still cant find where the noise is coming from on the nod and said it will take some time, weird thing is you guys online report everything always looks fine. So which is it? I have noise on my line that is causing issues or does everything look fine from your end???? From my end as a consumer things are not worth the price i am paying. 

LisaH
        Hi, Morgan1982. The field technician submitted a ticket to the maintenance team, who looked into this two different days and couldn't find any issues. Have you tried to reset your modem back to factory default? - Lisa
    jtipler
    New Contributor

any response yet from Cox on your issue yet? I have a similar issue. slow download speeds too.

Becky
      Hi Jtipler, your mode is reporting packet loss, and the modem's signal metrics are poor. I recommend a service call. If you'd like my team to schedule an appointment for you, please email your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Morgan1982
        Contributor II

JTipler, Definitely have a tech come and look, my field tech found a couple different problems that had my signals all over the place. Cox offers a care plan that is only $10 a month and it covers the tech visits. If you are in an older area like i am and need a couple visits it is well worth the 10 extra. I hope they fix your issue and its just a bad splitter or something simple.