Forum Discussion

PT_R2
New Contributor
6 years ago

Gigablast upload speed at 68.2 Mbps in the past one month. Is the an error?

We signed up gigablast for a month now and our download speed at 32 mbps seems to be okay but we have yet to see our upload speed exceeding 68.2 mbps.

Many members here mentioning their upload speed at least 450 mbps but we have no luck seeing 3 digits for our upload speed. What is wrong here?

8 Replies

• Hi PT_R2. Have you tried to unplug the power to both your modem and router, give it 30 seconds and plug them in one by one? How many devices have you run a speed test on? Please run a speed test on at least 2 devices. We may need to schedule a service call if all else fails. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      davephx
      New Contributor II

Your numbers seem reversed unless you're on fiber to home.  If cable DOCCS 3.1 you can only get about 35mb UPload and 1000 DL.   I had a similar problem just installing and only getting 58mb Download but rebooted the computer in addition to the modem but only getting about 250/35.  Somewhere I read takes a day or so to get up to high speed?   Now been on about 12 hours and up to about 350/35 both via a router and direct to the modem on PC via ethernet.  Will keep rebooting everything and see if DL speed gets closer to 1000.

In your case wonder if you left computer on for the month or rebooted frequently.

PT_R2
    New Contributor

I don't know if my modem is on coaxial or not, have to unscrew the panel behind my closet where the current modem is sitting. Modem is on the 3rd floor of our townhouse, while the COX's netgear C6300 router is on the 2nd floor. The COX's engineer came in to do the setup when we moved in to this house a month ago.   I tried doing a modem reset on COX website but received an error message saying I don't have an account??  I paid $119 each month for....??? 

Latest speed test: 47.94 download and 56.74 upload.  this is normal for Gigablast??  Really? (speed test after reboot)

Wish I could upload an image of the speed test result here.  **Equipment are all supplied by COX for Gigablast subscription.

PT_R2
    New Contributor

I was on the phone with the COX support:

Customer service #1: said I have to pay $75 to have a technician to come down to look at it. I refused to pay because the speed test number is just too bad which I think COX should fix it for free.  

Transfer to CS #2 (Sales): I address the problem and explain my reason for not wanting to pay for the technician to come out and reason being that I only get this "ridiculous" speed for my supposedly Giga-bluff internet 

Transfer to CS#3 (Loyalty Dept): explained the whole scenario once more and if I still this kind of speed and have to pay for every technician to check up at no fault of ours, I will want to cancel my subscription. They finally willing to waive the charge and will transfer me and passed me on to Technical support once more,

CS#4 (presumably the real Technical support Dept): after explaining, they probably did some tweak on their end,  I was asked to do a speed test while we were on the line,  **this time we have 176mbps on download and 336mbps on upload. But it is still not even half of 1GB.  So they finally agree to send someone to come look at it tomorrow.

I may want to look into other provider soon if this not resolved. It will be crazy to pay the price of subscription and not getting what they promised.

Becky
      Hi PT_R2, your ONT is reporting poor Optical RX levels, no doubt contributing to the slow speeds. I'm glad you have a service call scheduled for tomorrow so we can resolve this for you! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        PT_R2
        New Contributor

I only get my service call scheduled for free after talking to FOUR reps. One of your rep insisted that I can't get the service without paying $75 and COX is "willing" to let me have a payment plan of $10/month to get the service charge of $75 paid off. WOW!!