Forum Discussion

fschlenter911
New Contributor
6 years ago

New HP Great - 388mbps down, Dell 2 years young - 4.5mbps down 30mbps up - Cox No Suggestions

Hello everyone,

Problem is:  New HP Great - 388mbps down, Tablet Android 300mbps down Great, Dell 2 years young - 4.5mbps down 30mbps up Bad, Dell Desktop 8mbps down Bad.  Cox has no suggestions.  I updated Dell drivers, firmware, and even have Dell 2 year laptop directly connected via RJ45 direct connect to the Arriss TG1682G. This problem started a month or two ago.  Should I ask Cox on how to use the Arriss TG1682G as a bridge only, and reintroduce my own router?  So frustrating, appreciate anyone's help!!

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What changed on your network a month or two ago?  Before adding the HP and tablet, were the Dells getting great downloads?

fschlenter911
      New Contributor

I used a USB/RJ45 because I don't have a straight RJ45.  Updated all Intel software on the Dell Laptop.  Same symptoms.....still looking at Bridging the Cox Arris and putting in my own router back in to see if things get better.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Forget the RJ45.  I'll assume you'll use the Dells on wireless.  What changed on your network 1 or 2 months ago?  Did your Dells ever get great downloads?  What happens when you remove the non-Dells from the network?

It sounds like your router is lowering the transmission priority of your Dells, such as a Quality of Service setting (QoS).  Are the Dells actually on your network or are they using the stronger wireless signal of your neighbor's unprotected network? Why are you on the 5 GHz band?   Did you try the 2.4 GHz band?