Forum Discussion

Zmann
New Contributor II
6 years ago

how to block all .site emails ?

getting a ton of spam email from multiple addresses@ .site    example(  bl@sendoraritto.43zedpi.site) and ( despite  my constant reporting it as spam  to COX on my COX webmail  ( pretty sure this is a waste of time and has no COX actions) 

I can not seem to add .site to the blocked list  

thx Z 

17 Replies

Darius
    New Contributor III

Zmann,

Are you using Cox's web interface or an email client? If you're using a client like Thunderbird, just create a filter to send everything from *.site to a Junk folder.

If you're using the web interface, don't.

yak
    Contributor III

I had never seen an email from dot site until the recent spam explosion.  I also got some from dot website and other similar names.  Don't make any changes until Cox is finished getting things fixed. When you make changes (blocked list) during a time of crisis, they sometimes make things worse.

• Been flooded with those dot site emails myself.  I hadn't really checked the addresses before stumbling onto this discussion but I'm getting annihilated by a slew of new and obnoxiously repeating SPAM with that as an email suffix.  It would be interesting to know whether people from other providers are getting slammed with the same junk or if this is a Cox problem.

Zmann
      New Contributor II

I have a cox.net account  and this is the one I am getting spammed on 

I also have a cox.com email for work and a yahoo and no spam  but i never really share those addresses  so IDK, why the new wave of spam but I have been reporting the sites and cox, has an automated reply that states it will be proactive and stop this   but i get the same spam over and over 

the .site  and .website  has been 100% spam  from any sender 

stinkfoot63
        Contributor II

I'm thinking that perhaps cox.net email address list may have been accessed via hack.

Darius
    New Contributor III

Here's another possible workaround, one which I used until a few years ago and may go back to using.

Gmail has the ability to access your Cox account and import emails sent to it. Gmail still has really good spam detection and very possibly would clean up most of the junk. Using IMAP, you could create a folder on Gmail (e.g., call it "Cox Inbox") and automatically send your imported, cleaned emails there. Then stop bothering trying to read directly from Cox's servers and just read the new inbox folder.

If you also leave the imported messages on the Cox server, then you can use it as a backup and locate any messages that Gmail mistakenly treated as spam. If my experience holds, you won't have many.

Zmann
    New Contributor II

Darius I am using multiple email clients across multiple devices  like mailbird and the Kindle fire  preloaded , windows livemail 

but I figure if i can get this spam blocked on the cox inbox   then i won't have to deal with it on all my other devices 

Yak I also noticed the dot website spam  but i figured I would keep my post simple  and stick to the dot site 

i have been seeing this for a while and am wondering why Cox has done nothing   

yet i can easily block anysender@coxdotcom  or even dot cox 

Darius
      New Contributor III

Zmann,

You are right about it being better to block the Spam at the ISP level so you won't have to deal with it on all your devices.

But if pigs had wings, they could fly.

Zmann
    New Contributor II

I noticed a massive reduction in spam from sites I was not able to block on my own using the cox tools 

and the missing spam does not seem to be in my spam folder  ( i do not care) 

thanks, Cox