Forum Discussion

gfresha
New Contributor
6 years ago

Fortnite packet loss

Hey guys,

So like many here I live in San Diego and I have been experiencing packet loss issues for the better part of this year and last year. I have done everything from resetting router to modem to cables to port forwarding to dmz to static ip. You name it I have done it. Also I am on Ethernet and not Wireless. it happens where I would get 2-8% packet loss in Fortnite mainly on the upload side every 2 seconds. I did a ping to www.google.com and it usually times out 1 time. I have also called COX and asked for a technician to be sent to my house which is fine but they charge $75 and I wasn't sure whether that $75 is flat in regards to the issue being fixed or not. Like if I pay $75 and a technician comes out and tries to fix the problem and doesn't fix it do I still pay $75? I am really thinking of cancelling my membership with cox and totally changing ISPs so this forum is my last straw. 

The only solution that fixed my problem is to use a VPN from Speedify, the problem with that is that my ping rises but I also have to pay the $58 for an annual membership so its not really a practical solution in anyway but it 100% eliminates packet loss because I have tried the trial version. I don't know what it is that the Speedify VPN does that COX cannot do. I think it has to be with it wiring my connections from Fortnite through a different location or route or something I don't know but it surly does kill off packet loss.

2 Replies

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Gfresha

The technician would be dispatched to troubleshoot the connection itself outside of any specific application. If you're not enrolled in our Cox Complete Care there is a $75 flat fee for the visit if the problem is found to be with something inside of the home.

As for the problems you're experiencing, it may be helpful if you could collect a few trace routes and posting them so we may check for any obvious problems.

-Chris
      jrdn
      New Contributor II

chrisl your responses as well as other Cox employees are really aggravating.  gfresha DO NOT dispatch someone to you and pay the $75.  There are 1,000s of posts about Cox & Fortnite (in these forums, fortnite forums, and reddit).  Cox keeps sending people and charging $75 for this exact issue.  I had someone come and my internet was "the cleanest I've ever seen" from the technician and said the issue is not on their end and left.

All I know is that it started happening about a month ago.

Speedify VPN works because it essentially gives you the direct hop to Speedify's server which is closer to the fortnite servers and have different hops between servers.  I can use VPN's and get 0 packet loss, but it still feels laggy.

Just look up other ISPs in your neighborhood and leave cox if you have that option!