Forum Discussion

Ericd000
New Contributor
6 years ago

Issues with email routing from Cox to domain that was formerly hosted with Cox

My client switched providers a few months back and ever since then, their contacts that still use Cox services are unable to send or receive email from them.  Services were moved from Cox to Google GSuite to prevent the need of moving email service if they found they did not like their new carrier.

All other senders from the internet at large are able to deliver emails to the same domain at the new MX record, only senders on Cox are unable to send to us from what I can gather.  The sender doesn't appear to be receiving any bounced email message from reports.  

I called in to open a ticket and got bounced around a few times and then told some unusual statement that Cox is having issues delivering mail to Gmail.  I asked the lady on the phone if this issue has been going on for nearly 4 months, and she noncommittally stated it could have been going on longer.  I find that hard to believe, so I'm hoping this post will actually reach someone with some insight into the email and DNS servers on the Cox network.  

The domain that was migrated away from Cox is brsoccer.org.  Current, correct  MX record is: aspmx.l.google.com

1 Reply

Rob_H_
    Contributor II

This is so disheartening to read.  When it was first reported to Cox that only Cox customers can't send email to that (previously Cox hosted) domain, the SMTP server team should have sprung into action to quickly solve the problem.  Through cursory system checks and/or parsing the server logs for a "test email" sent to that domain, the point of failure could be quickly identified and resolved soon thereafter.  Your experience, unfortunately, is indicative of today's service provider failing to properly scale their support resources to properly and expeditiously meet the needs of the customer.