Forum Discussion

otterbay
Contributor
6 years ago

Spam phising guy posing as Cox support

Just got email from what appeared as "Cox.net" - and then added the recipients true name (which was a @cox.net address)

Johnmmcdaniels

John wanted to let us Cox users know our accounts would no longer be allowed to receive incoming mail, as our accounts were due for an upgrade.

Please upgrade below to avoid termination. 

Of course, an "Update" link was provided, which revealed a bogus http address.

Be careful, Cox email readers - you wouldn't want to lose your bank account over this guy.

PS - Cox, what can you do to prevent these types of scams?

9 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

My Mom was new to computers a few years ago and I told her a Golden Rule:  No legitimate company will tell you to do something by email or phone.  They will send you a letter.  If you get anything telling you to do something, move it to this folder I created (Bruce) and I'll review it later.

I reviewed and it was all scams.  Now she's more leery and immediately deletes most of it.

Even though she opted to go paperless with some mutual funds, a legit email will inform her there's a message in her online account (Message Center).  There no link to her account in the email.  She just clicks her bookmark and logs in.

If Cox wants you to do something...Mini Box, DOCSIS, eMTA, passwords...they will and have with letters.

Rob_H_
    Contributor II

This serves as a reminder to review the message header of such messages appearing to come from someone you have a business relationship with, even family and friends, that request an action on your part.   From the drop-down menus, in Cox webmail it is labeled "View Source", in Gmail it is labeled "Show Original" and in Yahoo  Mail it is labeled "View Raw Message", to name a few.  The first hint, of course, is the actual URL you're requested to click on that's typically highlighted when you hover your cursor over it without having to click on it.

otterbay
      Contributor

what would the email address be for an official, Cox support email?

Rob_H_
        Contributor II

Not really sure if it's consistent.  However, the important thing is to notice the domain and/or IP address the message actually originates from (i.e. cox.com, cox.net) in the header.  To reiterate, the first clue is often found in the actual URL (not necessarily the one being shown) of the link you're being asked to click on by simply hovering your cursor over it.