Forum Discussion

jnstevens30
New Contributor
6 years ago

Need a new Modem?

Currently have a Netgear CG3000D modem purchased from the Cox Solutions store 5 years ago.  (Wifi Laptop is 27mbps download and 10.6 upload and we're paying for the 100 mbps plan)  Thinking about dropping cable and just going the streaming route with HULU.  Would this modem work ok?  Or should I upgrade to  Panoramic Wifi Modem. Arris/Surfboard TG1682 or TG2472?

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You should speed test wired to the modem and not via wireless connection.  There could be lots of congestion on your network to get good sample.

Your Internet plan really depends on the number of simultaneous streams in your household.  If it's just you with one TV, a 30 Mbps plan is adequate.  If you anticipate 3 simultaneous streams, 100 would handle it..  I think Hulu and Hulu Live limit the number of simultaneous streams...unless you pay more...so your current plan is good.

jnstevens30
    New Contributor

I did test the laptop wired directly to the modem and was getting 38 mbps/10 mbps.  We will probably have two TV's with Amazon firesticks.  Cox wants to charge 9.99 per month to rent the Panoramic WIFI modem, just not sure if I want to pay them the monthly fee or purchase outright what they recommend.  What would be a good modem to get?

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

38 Mbps?  Jeesh...what happened to the 100?

Will the TV sets be wired to your router?  Wireless speed may not be a factor if you're wired.  I'll assume at least one TV will be wireless.