Forum Discussion

PlotsTechMedia
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Me and my girl friend are having issues streaming on cox to Twitch,YouTube,Mixer and Facebook.

So my girl friend is an affiliate on twitch and for the past 6 months we have had issues streaming to twitch we have had several techs come out  to the house and do every thing they could from replace the router/modem combo and completely rework the box on the side of our house and replacing all the coax lines. I after 12 days of the issue persisting went out and purchased all new LAN cables with the highest grade possible with gold plated shielding and all around 80 bucks all together. after the first month the issue still didn't disappear matter of fact its been happening every time we stream for more than 2 minutes. Okay so lets get to business and show you modem levels log files and server tests for streaming to show you what i'm dealing with. My current internet plan is the ultimate 300/30 Mbps with unlimited data.

Internet plan

https://imgur.com/a/spWS9mO

modem signals

https://imgur.com/a/QgoJgDL

Now I do have a theory as to why she and I drop frames and it has to do with upload specific packet loss because when she or I are in a game the network symbol for packet loss appears for a bit as my stream struggles to stay connected, now here are some speed tests supporting this theory because when i'm streaming and take a speed test my upload is fine but I think there might be packet loss on my upstream which causes the dropped frames and unstable connection!

https://imgur.com/a/2rSZVqB

Okay now for the next test this is a quality test for your upload to the twitch servers mind you need a score above 80 to not drop frames or have issues I will post 3 screen shots showing the test and the max bit-rate I can use without issues aka upload speed, reminder though these are not consistent today the test may show good results and the next day it shows bad results I and today could be one of the good days. The reason I do a 30 second test is because it gives the most ideal and best of your connection.

Thats the end of the tests if you can help me find out why I drop frames when I stream to YouTube or Twitch please comment the potential issue.

4 Replies

Ellros
    New Contributor II

I am having some of the Same issues.   But here is the oddity.... It comes and goes.    Sometime Every Single Night that I stream.... somewhere between 10pm and Midnight Central time, my upload speed drops drastically.    Download speed remains the same, but Upload just drops out.    It will last anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes (occasionally for hours, like tonight).     And it only started happening after June 20th, give or take.     Before that, I had no problems whatsoever.    I am also a Twitch affiliate, and it really ruins the stream when I start dropping 1000 frames per minute.    I have Internet 100, and an Arris brand modem, not a Puma.    I have switched settings repeatedly, and switched Twitch servers.    But the issue persists.    Last night for example (7/14/2018)... Started streaming around 11:30pm.    Dropped frames and had lag from the start.   Played with settings to no avail.    At 12:15am, the issues stopped and I had a trouble-free stream for 2 hours.    Then the issue reappeared around 2:30am.    Dropped 21,000 frames in 15 minutes.    Upload speed via Speedtest was 1/3 normal.   Download speed remained normal.    This issue is really becoming a serious nuisance.

Also tonight  Speedtest.net was showing the upload speed issue  (only getting less than 2mbs). But  DSLreports was showing the correct, expected speed (ie 100/10).  But the issue is still occurring... going on 3.5 hours now.

Also today, I checked the outside box, and disconnected two splitters.   The cable is coming into the house through a single cable now, rather than 3.   I had hopes that would solve the issue, but it did not.     I am going to be calling for a Tech to come out tomorrow morning.  Was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but alas...

LatitiaS
      Hello Ellros,

I am sorry to learn of your chronic speed issues. If you have not already secured an appointment for a technician to visit, I would be glad to help you here. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your name and full service address.

Latitia
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Photosbyjcr
    New Contributor II

Not going to matter I got the top end package from Cox and I can't stream on Twitch. I'm hardwired with the latest tech still makes no difference 4 techs later the issue is still there.  Google Cox Throttling Twitch and you will be amazed at all the post you find.   

PlotsTechMedia
      New Contributor II

This happens for me in games and youtube as well not just twitch