Forum Discussion

bobC927
Contributor
6 years ago

MY WIFI

MY WIFI tells me I have an "Ineligible Modem" I have a CISCO DPQ3212 (rented). How do I upgrade to a modem that is eligible for MY WIFI? Is there a list of eligible modems? Can I go to a Cox store and make a swap?

5 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't understand the value of this service.  If you can remotely access your home WiFi, couldn't somebody else?  Meaning, how secure is the network from which you're accessing My WiFi.  If someone accessed your home network, could they also access your modem?  If you bounced an unruly kid off your network, couldn't they just reset your router and modem to factory defaults?  It may be a nice feature, but it sounds like a possible portal.

These are just my thoughts. Anyway,  "Ineligible Modem" sounds like effective security.

• Hi bobC927. The MY WIFI tab on the Cox website is intended for the Cox rental gateway for you to view your network information and devices connected and make any necessary changes without having to sign into the router. This also allows you to monitor your network when away from home as well. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
      bobC927
      Contributor

So MyWIFI basically gives you the same info you get from signing into a router, without signing into the router. Is that a correct analogy?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

To be useful, My WiFi should mirror your router admin page but it could be limited to whoever designed it.  It's someone's interpretation of what you should see.

These network services, ports and protocols have been around a long time.  If you had a router in the 90's...as Mouth indicated above...you could configure it for remote administration via its Public IP Address, such as from wherever you work.  You can still do that today.

You don't need Cox to do it and it shouldn't cost $10 a month.  Cox just tossed it on their page and are forcing you to rent a modem to use it.  It's a scam.