Forum Discussion

mkehoe1
New Contributor
6 years ago

Question for people with both Gigablast and Phone service in the Las Vegas area

I have spoken to several different reps and supervisors via phone, website chat and Twitter about my question, but keep getting conflicting answers. I currently have just the Ultimate 300/30 Internet service from Cox in Las Vegas, but am looking to upgrade. There is a good package deal for TV, Gigablast Internet and Phone service where the promotional pricing is far less than what I'm paying for the 3 services now from 3 different companies.

My question is I want to know what modem Cox provides for the combination Gigablast and Cox Voice phone service. Several of the reps I've spoken to all say they only provide one of their "Panoramic" WiFi modems, but the model numbers they provide me are all DOCSIS 3.0 models that are capped at just 640Mbps, which is far below the 1000Mbps that Gigablast is supposed to provide.

You can consider my knowledge level when it comes to tech to be well above average to expert. I build my own computers and manage my own home network. So before I even started talking to any of these reps, I looked up the Cox approved list of modems. On that list, there is just a single modem listed that supports both Gigablast and Cox Voice phone service, that's the Arris TM3402. Its a non WiFi modem, which I am 100% OK with. I would actually prefer a non WiFi modem.

The answers I've received about this modem so far vary wildly. I've been told its not available at all, I've been told it is available but only if I buy it directly from a Cox retail store for $180, I've been told I can rent it for $9.99 and I've been told that it will be provided to me to rent free of charge since I will be getting the phone service and will only be charged a rental fee for it if I cancel that phone service. The different reps that have told me that its not available or that I would have to buy it are the same ones who said Cox only rents out their "Panoramic" WiFi modems, which again are not DOCSIS 3.1 modems, and therefore do not support the 1000Mbps speeds required for Gigablast. They all quoted me that I would be provided either the Arris TG2472 or TG1682. (You can find them on the list of modems linked above)

Is there anyone here in the Las Vegas area that has both Gigablast and Cox Voice phone service that can tell me what modem Cox provided to them, and is Cox charging you for that modem?

No RepliesBe the first to reply