Forum Discussion

SRho
New Contributor
6 years ago

How to Rename an Ethernet (Wired) Network Connection

Hey everyone!

So I recently upgraded to the GigaBlast 300Mbps internet service and was renaming my networks to give them that personal touch.  There's a card in the modem box that shows how to rename your WiFi network(s), but the card/site/customer service agents didn't know how to rename a wired Ethernet network -- customer service said it couldn't even be done. 

Rubbish!!!  Here's how to do it in 2 minutes on Windows 10:

1. On your desktop, right-click on the Windows (Start) button, and click 'Run'
  2. Type in 'regedit' and hit OK (a permission box will appear to run it, click 'Yes')
  3. On the left there will be a navigational menu, start by clicking the pointer to expand the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
  4. Expand "SOFTWARE" tab
  5. Expand "Microsoft" tab (you'll see a lot of menus come down; it can be a little intimidating but stick with me!)
  6. Expand "Windows NT" tab (pull the window divider to the right as necessary so you can see what you're doing)
  7. Expand "Current Version" tab
  8. Expand "NetworkList" tab
  9. Expand "Profiles" tab
  10. You'll have one or more folders with some really technical names (ex: "7F8235C4-3E91-465C-990D-381391FG1BFD") -- click on it once
    1. TIP:  If you have multiple folders available (like I did), just click through them until you see the name of your wired network next to the "ProfileName" line under the 'Data' column.  If you're not sure what your wired network is called, go to your computer's settings >> "Network & Internet" >> "Ethernet" tab on the left, and the name should be clearly displayed
  11. Double-click on "ProfileName", and change the "Value Data" field to whatever you want to call your network (ex: "Charlie's Office"), click OK
  12. Restart your computer so the system can reset the registry with your new changes
  13. BOOM, you just renamed your wired Ethernet network.

Enjoy!  And make sure to name it something clever  ;)

No RepliesBe the first to reply