Forum Discussion

timoto
New Contributor
6 years ago

scrolling to older e-mail very slow

Does anyone have a slowness problem with trying to scroll back in time to an older e-mail?  I'm trying to access an e-mail that's over a year old in my Inbox.  As there now seems to be no way to move forward multiple pages or messages at a time it now seems that one has to laboriously scroll through the months of messages.  It gets slower and slower the further I go back in time and in some instances hangs up entirely as if it is trying to reload everything over and over again.  This seems to have become a problem with this new version of webmail.  It seems to be a problem regardless of what computer I'm using.  At work I used a desktop with a very fast internet connection which made no difference.  I don't work there any more and have only my laptop at home now which I bought in March so it's not an old machine.  I need to access older e-mails from contacts as part of my job search effort and this problem makes it close to impossible.  I'm using IE11 as my browser.  Any help, thoughts, ideas are welcome.

4 Replies

• Hi Timoto, my Inbox will sometimes exhibit the behavior you described if I let mail pile up in the Inbox. Sorting the email into folders seemed to help solve this problem. Another folder option is called the Archive. The Archive function automatically creates folders by year. Archiving an email that arrived in January 2016 automatically creates a "2016" folder within the Archive. You can also manually create folders within the Archive. If you prefer to keep everything in your Inbox, try utilizing the Search function to find what you need. (To display the Search box in the upper left-hand corner, click the "View" drop-down box and enable "Folder View.") -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      timoto
      New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Becky.  Wouldn't this problem still occur if I had a lot of e-mail in one or more folders?  In other words, if I frequently receive e-mail from the same sender and move it to a folder set up just for those e-mails, won't that folder ultimately exhibit the same problem as it grows in size?

Also, why is this a problem in the first place?  It didn't happen before this new version came to be.  What's causing it to happen now?  There has to be a fix for it.  Wasn't there a way to jump forward many pages at a time in the old version?  I don't see that now.

Lastly, what's the difference between Classic and Enhanced e-mail?  I switched to Classic hoping it would help but it didn't make a difference and it looks the same way as well.

Thanks,

Tim

timoto
        New Contributor

Becky,

Another thing that happens when I'm trying to scroll to older e-mail is that I will sometimes get a message that says "cox.net is not responding due to a long-running script" at which time I can click the button that says Stop script.  I do that and it frees it up but it ultimately just happens again shortly thereafter.  I'm only getting this message from Webmail so can you look into why this is happening?  Thanks!