Forum Discussion

ezridin
New Contributor III
6 years ago

Who is responsible when Data Usage meter doesn't update?

I have run into situations where near the end of my billing cycle, the Cox Bandwidth Usage will "stop working".  It will skip days, and show my usage for those days as 0.  It will continue to show 0, even after a few days.  Other days will be fine, as if that 1 or 2 days usage was "lost".

Then, a few days later (and often after the cycle has reset), it will suddenly have the usage for those "skipped" days, and shows the usage for those days, as if nothing happened.  

Seems like a scummy thing to do if we are responsible for this screw ups on Cox's end.  We don't have an accurate reading on what usage we have used, and are not properly updated.  And if we were to go over, and then call in after the "missed" days usage has been added, we are on the hook for the overage.    

Luckily for me, I have a separate BW monitor, but I can imagine other people running into this and getting screwed by this.  

4 Replies

Chrislees
    New Contributor

This is an excellent point. By having such a large delay, its unclear when you've hit the cap, how far over you are, and if it has reset yet. Unfortunately for me, this turned what could have been minor overage charges into a billing increase of $54.99 -> $149.98 for my account. Now Cox wants me to pay $200 and my connection has been suspended for days. I can not afford to pay all at once, nor do I feel Cox is even justified in charging that much for bandwidth, and I feel we've reached a no-win situation. I would make payments on the amount in order to be reinstated, and I earn my wages via internet access. Sort of a catch 22. But not.

Tl;dr I hope they fix bandwidth monitoring and stabilize fees for mine and everyone else's benefit. Wish they had hard capped and shut off my service like Comcast does.

• Hi Ezridin, The Cox Data Usage Meter isn't real-time; the meter displays usage only through the previous day. We can help you investigate issues with the Cox Data Usage Meter. How do you access the Meter--through the Cox Connect App, or by logging into your Cox account via a web browser? What bandwidth monitor are you using? How does your BW monitor display daily usage? Becky K. Cox Support Forums Moderator
      ezridin
      New Contributor III

Yes, I am aware that it is not real time.  It usually updates the next day.  The issue is that after a FEW DAYS, it would still show 0, only to update like a week later.  

Last month, it happened at the end of my cycle.  It showed 0 on a day until a few days after my current cycle started.  

This is a problem near the end, because if I used 20GB on that day, but only shows 0 for a week, any unsuspecting user can think he has an extra 20GB, only to get charged after the fact.

I check via browser logging into my Cox account.  

My own personal BW monitor is installed on the router itself (bwmon for ddwrt).  That is on top of the bandwidth monitor that ddwrt itself has.

Becky
        Hi Ezridin, I can see how the delay of more than 24 hours could cause difficulties at the end of your billing cycle. The next time the meter falls behind by more than 24 hours, please let us know. Especially if it happens at the end of your billing cycle! Becky K. Cox Support Forums Moderator