Forum Discussion

OhMyHead
New Contributor II
6 years ago
Solved

Unable to Host Share Play on Playstation 4 / PS4

I can join others on Share Play all day long, but no one can connect to me when I host Share Play. While my speeds test WAY above the minimum for this activity, my signal is never strong enough to host. Or so the errors say. I have found many others with this exact problem. And the common piece with us all is that we all have Cox for an ISP. It's fine if COX makes some change in policy or procedure and ends up blocking something that affects this functionality of my gaming system. But for me to have to call and write repeatedly for help on this and get the same responses, none of which include a solution, over and over, is unacceptable. I have done everything I possibly can to fix this issue on my end, over and over again, and it is still busted. Why not just admit you've blocked a port Sony uses for this feature instead of ****ing me around all the time? Surely the company knows of this issue. I can't be the ONLY person complaining about it. STOP resetting my router whenever I call about this. I do that before I call. I do it ALL before I call. Port forwarding, DMZ, all of it. There's a call history on your systems, no? Please read it before you treat me like I'm 5 and it's my first time calling anyone other than my Nana in Ft. Lauderdale. This weekend, I am bringing my PS4 out into the desert and hooking it up to someone's home who is not blessed with COX Internet. If Share Play works, if people are able to connect to me when I host Share Play, I'm going to expect an answer from you, COX, especially after you've just increased by bill. AGAIN.
  • Hello, my helpful friends!  I have returned to let y'all know that my Shareplay is up and running and working perfectly at home!  At my wit's end, my next move was to get my own modem and router.  All this time I was under the impression that I had to use the modem/router I was issued by Cox.

Last night I ordered an ASUS CM-16 with an ASUS AC1300 wireless router, and in a few minutes, had it up and running.  Tested Shareplay and BOOM.  Good to go.

The device I was using (that is now the suspect in the busted Shareplay as well as MMS texts taking forever to go through) is an Arris TG2472, which I will be happily returning to Cox.

14 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    OhMyHead
    New Contributor II

Hello, my helpful friends!  I have returned to let y'all know that my Shareplay is up and running and working perfectly at home!  At my wit's end, my next move was to get my own modem and router.  All this time I was under the impression that I had to use the modem/router I was issued by Cox.

Last night I ordered an ASUS CM-16 with an ASUS AC1300 wireless router, and in a few minutes, had it up and running.  Tested Shareplay and BOOM.  Good to go.

The device I was using (that is now the suspect in the busted Shareplay as well as MMS texts taking forever to go through) is an Arris TG2472, which I will be happily returning to Cox.

San_diego_boy1
      New Contributor

I have the same problem as you and my shareplay refuses to work, I even bought the same modem and router you did and still nothing. My speeds are faster but shareplay still refuses to work. My friend was able to connect once and then never again after that. This is really frustrating.

OhMyHead
        New Contributor II

If I still couldn't get it going after buying the new devices, my next move was going to be to replace all Ethernet cables involved.  I'm sure I've closed a door on them once or twice. Or more.  And sometimes they go bad for no reason.  Even brand new ones.  It couldn't hurt to try.  Also, if you haven't yet contacted Sony tech support, I would do that as well to be absolutely sure your PS4 settings are all correct.  Good luck!

• Hello OhMyHead, Have you tried a direct connection to the modem to rule out any possible port forwarding issues? Another thing would be to check any firewall settings that may block traffic on these ports. If you have no other concerns connecting to any other site and can use Share Play as a guest, it would appear that a setting somewhere is incorrect. You may also want to check out Share Play's forum as there may be helpful information for you there as well.
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I hope your not gaming on a crappy Cox gateway. If so, that is probably half your problem. What port does PS4 use for Host share? Have you tried a port scan? If not a Cox gateway, what does your network consist of? I have a PS3 hooked up right now on Cox and everything is working fine.

OhMyHead
    New Contributor II

Thanks so much for replying.  I am visiting family that has Frontier as an ISP and I plugged in my PS4, set up the internet connection on all automatic settings, and my friend was able to connect to me via Shareplay for the very first time.

I will go home in a couple of days and do the exact same thing I did here and see what's what.

OhMyHead
    New Contributor II

Ok, friends, I'm back hope.  I plugged in my PS4 and set it up exactly the way it was at the other place and my friend got the same message he always gets.  

THE HOST'S INTERNET CONNECTION IS UNSTABLE

or something very close to that.  No connection, even though I show HIGH up and down speed.

Next I will factory reset my router and see what's what.

BrianM
      If you are still having trouble after that, I would recommend connecting direct to the cable modem as Danny mentioned to eliminate the router as an issue as it will have an internal firewall that could cause these types of issues. Brian Cox Support Forum Moderator
        OhMyHead
        New Contributor II

Thank you for joining in, Brian.  I have a modem/router device from Arris, so not sure how to bypass the router unless you are talking about putting the PS4 in the DMZ.  If so, I tried that with the same results.

Errors are saying my connection is "unstable" Cox insists there is no physical issue with my connection at my apartment complex or my apartment specifically, but I'm not so sure that is true.  Just a theory.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

AFAIK, Host play uses P2P, so the first thing I would suggest is check the latency between your home IP and the IP of the person you are trying to share from. If you see high latency, post a tracert to the IP address to see where the latenct is. In general, both PS4 should be on WIRED or ethernet connections and both of you should be get internet speeds above 15Mbps. If one of you is restricted to slow internet, try decreasing the resolution from 1080p. The lower the resolution, the less data you need to share between PS4 to play. See here for more info.

OhMyHead
      New Contributor II

We both have way more than enough speeds, both are hard wired, and both resolutions for sharing are set to Standard which is the lower setting.  The shareplay feature works perfectly.  One way.  Something in my end, at home, is blocking.  I can't bypass the router because I am using an Arris ... I do not have the model handy ... TP2324 or something like that.  It's an all-in-one device.  Modem/router.  I put the PS4 in the DMZ and got the same results.

There are many other Cox users in the West Coast posting similar posts to this one.  I read many and saw no solutions. :(