Forum Discussion

johnpd
New Contributor III
7 years ago

Cox Phone Service converting to VOIP

I am in the general Tucson area and received a letter from Cox indicating that the current phone service connected via the wall plug will be discontinued and will be replaced by a VOIP service which requires a telephony enabled modem or eMTA device. The letter indicated that I could upgrade "for free" [maybe?] to a telephony capable Cox modem. According to the Cox update site, I was given two modem options: the Cisco DPQ3212 (modem and phone capability only) or the Arris TG1682 (modem, phone, and WiFi capability) which I believe would require renting from Cox. I currently have my own modem and router and I definitely do not want a combination modem/router nor would I want the old technology DPQ3212. Are there other options available? For instance, would I be able to get  the newer TM3402 DOCSIS 3.1 modem which has phone capability? If yes, (1) would I get it for free, or (2) if not for free, what would it cost me? I would rather get newer technology than eight year old technology. My understanding that if I want to stay with Cox phone service, they are required to give me an eMTA capable device. My other option would be to drop Cox phone service and get a 3rd party eMTA service such as Vonage, Ooma, or 1-VOIP.

JohnD

13 Replies