This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cox Phone Service converting to VOIP

I am in the general Tucson area and received a letter from Cox indicating that the current phone service connected via the wall plug will be discontinued and will be replaced by a VOIP service which requires a telephony enabled modem or eMTA device. The letter indicated that I could upgrade "for free" [maybe?] to a telephony capable Cox modem. According to the Cox update site, I was given two modem options: the Cisco DPQ3212 (modem and phone capability only) or the Arris TG1682 (modem, phone, and WiFi capability) which I believe would require renting from Cox. I currently have my own modem and router and I definitely do not want a combination modem/router nor would I want the old technology DPQ3212. Are there other options available? For instance, would I be able to get  the newer TM3402 DOCSIS 3.1 modem which has phone capability? If yes, (1) would I get it for free, or (2) if not for free, what would it cost me? I would rather get newer technology than eight year old technology. My understanding that if I want to stay with Cox phone service, they are required to give me an eMTA capable device. My other option would be to drop Cox phone service and get a 3rd party eMTA service such as Vonage, Ooma, or 1-VOIP.

JohnD

• Hi johnpd,

For Cox digital phone service to work, the eMTA must be provided by Cox with the Cisco 3212 or the Panoramic Arris 1682 for phone. You can continue to use your current internet setup, and if the Arris 1682 is used only for phone service with Cox, then there's no rental fee.

• Can the wireless be shut off on the Arris TG1682?

JohnD

• Hi johnpd,

This modem is primarily used for our wireless customers. I regret there is not a button/switch on the unit to disable the WiFi. Are you looking for a standalone modem that shares the TG1682's capabilities? If so please visit http://bit.ly/2u4vfhE for additional information. Hope this helps.
  • John,

Both the following standalone eMTAs are available in AZ, I would suggest trying to get the newest ARRIS TM3402, but both will support up to the grandfathered Premier HSI 150Mbps speeds, I still have a Cisco DPQ3212 and have Premier HSI 150Mbps.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31856604-

Cisco DPQ3212 eMTA DOCSIS 3.0 - 8x4
    ARRIS TM3402 eMTA DOCSIS 3.1 - 32x8

Both are FREE with Cox Phone.  These do not have any router or WiFi functions, just a Cable Modem and Phone Modem

• Hi Bryan,

I saw some of your posts in DSLReports regarding this issue. I would love to have the TM3402 but it seems there is some confusion on Cox's part as to the availability and cost of them. Since there is no drop dead date yet on the wall plug phone, I will keep trying.

JohnD