Forum Discussion

rhsortho
New Contributor
7 years ago

Modem setup question

my new modem will be arriving soon to replace my modem/router combo. My question is, do I "need" to connect via the ethernet port to set it up or can cox get it "set" from their end with just a phone call? reason I ask is my laptops don't have an ethernet port and I've read that once i connect the coax i'll need to use the browser to get the an 'activation page.' the router uses a smartphone app to configure so i was hoping i could just plug in the modem and hook up the router to begin configuring settings. just trying to get things in order to make the install go smoother:) it appears my cisco 3825 has lost it's wireless capability (in addition to the constant reboot/fail/reboot cycle). the LED is still lit but the SSID is no longer visible.

5 Replies

rhsortho
    New Contributor
    Thank you, Tiffany! will try when I get it, and if I can't get it activated I will do what you suggested here.
    rhsortho
    New Contributor
    just a quick update and a question about power levels. The install went fine and interent seems ok. The only hiccup was on the 2nd day- that next morning apparently had dropped offline overnight and would not reconnect til after I unplugged the power AND unhooked the coax. That hasn't happened again. I logged in to the modem to have a look around and noticed the upstream levels sit at around 49-52 occassionally 54. Speed/connection remains and seems ok. Are these numbers within spec? The downstream are all around -3.0-3.7, and SNR's 37-39dB. When looking at the event log I see LOTS of errors "crtitcal/warnings/notices" what looks like T3's T4's(?) and various other messages. Should I be concerned? again, speed seems to be ok as is the connection. The modem is hooked up to the main cable downstairs with 1 2-way splitter. there is one other splitter in the upstairs bedroom. would replacing the splitters be something to do or is 49-53 within range? thanks again.
    rhsortho
    New Contributor
    I've just removed the 2-way splitter and the upstream went form 52 to 42-44. So now my next question is, can anyone recommend a good quality 2 way splitter to try? (this current one is the one that came with the Cisco "kit" form Cox. are there any "specs" I should look for? i'd hate to go thru a trial and error to find a good one.
  • @rhsortho

You can get a new splitter from any of our retail stores. 

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.