Forum Discussion

rkalla
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Ordered "Self Install" for Gigablast in an older neighborhood... is that ok?

(for context: neighborhood is the Cactus Rd & Tatum Blvd area, by PV Mall)

Been waiting for Gigablast for the last 2 years (although Cox has done an awesome job updating Ultimate all the way to 300mbps). 

Was just messing around on the website and noticed it was available as an upgrade option suddenly... nice! Selected it, chose "I have modem" (ordered a SB8200 from Amazon) and then was given a choice for:

1. Professional Install

2. Self install

I chose Self Install because I'm comfortable with this stuff... but I was under the impression there needed to be a Fiber line install for Gigablast to work.

I was told by a Cox tech last year (that was working in the neighborhood) that we wouldn't have Gigablast until all the standoffs in the neighborhood had been replaced and had fiber run to them. None of that has happened, all the stands in the yards are still the old ones, so I'm wondering if this is too good to be true?

I don't mind having the pro install done if it's necessary, just want to understand what will happen here before I get too excited :)

Thanks!

• This would be for DOCSIS 3.1 Gigablast, not fiber Gigablast. Download speeds go up to 1 Gbps and upload is limited to 35 Mbps for now. If it was ever for the symmetrical fiber Gigablast, that always requires a professional install as technicians would need to install the fiber and an ONT to the home.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • This would be for DOCSIS 3.1 Gigablast, not fiber Gigablast. Download speeds go up to 1 Gbps and upload is limited to 35 Mbps for now. If it was ever for the symmetrical fiber Gigablast, that always requires a professional install as technicians would need to install the fiber and an ONT to the home.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    rkalla
    New Contributor

Ahhhh, ok got it. Thank you for the clarification.