Forum Discussion

CajunCrusader
New Contributor
7 years ago

Inconsistent Upload Speeds Causing Excessive Dropped Frames When Streaming to Twitch.TV

I recently moved back to my home town and Cox is the only ISP in the area that offers decent speeds.  I am currently getting 150Mbps/10Mbps speeds via various speed tests.  Ever since I've been on this service, I have been plagued with issues broadcasting to Twitch.TV, something I do on the side for a hobby/petty cash.

I have done all the troubleshooting a person can do and have talked to more representatives at Cox than anyone would care to!  I am so relieved to hear I am not the only person experiencing this.

I am a Senior Systems Engineer by trade, I deal with major ISPs and networks on a daily basis.  I have even taken a router to test with that retails at over $5,000.00 to prove that it was not my hardware.  I have replaced modems, tried different NICs, you name it, I've done it.

This is most certainly, beyond any shadow of doubt, and issue with the ISP (Cox).  Whether they are purposely "throttling" this traffic or they are just overselling their mediocre service, this needs to be addressed!  

I am growing rather irritated at the fact that no rep nor technician can pinpoint these issues or even explain them.  I am quite certain there are very competent personnel working at Cox that should be able to pinpoint this.  It is basic UDP traffic, not that complex.

Any other insights, suggestions, rants, testimonies, gripes, wines, or any other constructive chat on this would be greatly appreciated!

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally.  We can definitely be able to assist you with this.  Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

rpj9891
    New Contributor

You're not alone here, I live in 70005, Metairie Louisiana and have had upload issues at multiple addresses with completely different hardware for over 4 years now. It's really inconsistent, sometimes for weeks I have zero issues, but then a day like today I notice it happening again. I've gone through let's see, about 3 different modems in my home (Cisco DPQ3212 > Netgear CM700 > Arris Surfboard SB8200 (Current modem)), multiple routers, and the issue persists. I've had the line into my house replaced, I've had the cable that leads to my modem replaced, I've had splitters removed so that there's only one single splitter from my modem to the line into my home. Nothing has ever eliminated this problem, it is 100% on Cox's network. I've probably had like at least 8 techs come out within the past year or two alone, problem was never resolved. So you're definitely not alone with this issue, but sadly you won't get any help on this forum, but at least you will know you're not the only one. 

The thing is, I run speed tests almost every single day and it's mostly normal most days, until I start noticing the problem, but once I do it's crazy what goes on with my upload speeds, jumping all over the place, dropping to 0 (such that we can't even upload pictures, let alone videos), and just being wildly inconsistent, while the download speeds remain rather stable. Another thing I've noticed is a HUGE upspike in uncorrectables on my modem's webpage when it occurs, like on every single channel uncorrectables on every single modem I've used. It's absolutely insane and I have essentially given up on the problem because it's obviously some major infrastructure issue with Cox that they just don't care enough to do anything about. Problem can persist from a few days to even weeks which happened before. 

I guarantee there's many more customers effected by this, but they just don't know it because most people don't check their speeds regularly, let alone check their upload speeds. Whenever I start having the problem I come to this forum just to see if other people are impacted around the same times that I am, and what do you know I see a thread or two about people complaining about upload speeds. Just confirms what I already know, this is Cox's issue. 

• Hi rpj9891,

This is not the experience that we want our customers to have We are not able to discuss account specific issue through Forums. So that we can get o the bottom of the issues you are having please reach out to us on email at cox.help@cox.com. We can also be reached on Twitter @coxhelp or on Facebook under CoxHelp.