Forum Discussion

DCROWMIK
New Contributor II
7 years ago
Solved

Correct IPv6 Setting for Netgear R7000?

On an Ultimate package in Orange County, for a Netgear R7000 router behind a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, what is the correct IPv6 setting to use in the routers config page: 6to4Tunnel? DHCP? Static? Auto Config? Is there a need to designate a DHCP host?

This is a simple home connection with only internet service and just two devices; no TV, no phone.

• Thanks. After doing that DNS lookups were slow. However, I understand the R7000 has an idiosyncrasy regarding IPv6 DNS settings. When setting IPv6 to DHCP, the router then chooses DNS address as follows: "Get automatically from ISP". That's where the problem in the router lies.

Here's what I did to fix and resolve the issue.

In the IPv6 router settings page, in the "Internet Connection Type" field I chose Auto Detect and clicked Apply. The Internet Connection Type field then showed DHCP. In the IPv6 DNS Address section the router defaulted to "Get automatically from ISP" but I also noticed the DNS addresses were populated but grayed out in the primary and secondary DNS fields. I then selected "Use These DNS Servers" and clicked Apply. After the router rebooted everything was lickity split fast with no lag and http://test-ipv6.com finally showed a score of 10/10.

If you still find a problem after doing the above, from a command line prompt in Windows you can do ipconfig /release AND ipconfig /release6 THEN ipconfig /renew to get everything talking correctly OR simply reboot the computer which will do the same thing in releasing and renewing the network adapter.

Hope this helps.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • DCROWMIK,

The IPV6 setting you want is DHCP. There's no need to designate a host or configure any other settings. You want your router to obtain everything automatically from the modem.

DCROWMIK
    New Contributor II

Thanks. After doing that DNS lookups were slow. However, I understand the R7000 has an idiosyncrasy regarding IPv6 DNS settings. When setting IPv6 to DHCP, the router then chooses DNS address as follows: "Get automatically from ISP". That's where the problem in the router lies.

Here's what I did to fix and resolve the issue.

In the IPv6 router settings page, in the "Internet Connection Type" field I chose Auto Detect and clicked Apply. The Internet Connection Type field then showed DHCP. In the IPv6 DNS Address section the router defaulted to "Get automatically from ISP" but I also noticed the DNS addresses were populated but grayed out in the primary and secondary DNS fields. I then selected "Use These DNS Servers" and clicked Apply. After the router rebooted everything was lickity split fast with no lag and http://test-ipv6.com finally showed a score of 10/10.

If you still find a problem after doing the above, from a command line prompt in Windows you can do ipconfig /release AND ipconfig /release6 THEN ipconfig /renew to get everything talking correctly OR simply reboot the computer which will do the same thing in releasing and renewing the network adapter.

Hope this helps.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @DCROWMIK

Glad you were able to resolve the issue please let us know if you have further concerns.