Forum Discussion

CarlH
New Contributor II
7 years ago
Solved

D3.1 Gigablast Activation: Is Pro Install really needed???

Hi!   I currently have the Ultimate package in Phoenix area.  Have a Docsis 3.1 modem (Netgear CM1000) with 1 bonded OFDM downstream channel (159, 300MHz, SNR over 40dB).  I added the gigablast option via cox internet order website and received direction to call to complete.

When I call the sales rep won't complete the order without a "pro install" truck roll for $75.    Per reports on dslreports cox forum - a truck is NOT required but some sales reps are demanding it while other sales reps are transitiioning order to complete to trigger a modem provision and all ends up well.

Some would-be-upgraders denied by less-trained sales reps are simply calling in many times to  get a 'trained' rep.  Is there secret we can use to get the sales rep to execute the order without a trick roll?    I hate being the jerk that has to escalate to supervisor and not willing to call in a dozen times to get lucky..   Any hints on how I can to get past the sales rep so pay Cox more money for the upgrade?

• Thanks!  A customer called me and it turns out the modem model name was incorrectly assigned when originally provisioned.  Once that was fixed, Cox was able to remotely provision the modem.  I know have D3.1 gig blast service.

Thank you Cox for resolving this quickly and without hassle.  I have always appreciated Cox service.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    Hello CarlH,

Thank you for contacting Cox Social Media team. I apologize for any incorrect information that you've received. Gigablast requires a serviceability check and a professional installation. We recently announced that Ultimate can be self-installed in certain markets. So that I can check your address for serviceability please send an email with this forum post to cox.help@cox.com include your name and address. Thanks
    Rattler
    New Contributor

Your question wasn't really answered, I don't think Karen gets it (Gigablast for Docsis 3.1 vs Fiber). Try again. If you want Gigablast for Docsis 3.1 and you know you have a good connection (you do) then you do not need professional installation.

This thread has all of your answers.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31611493-DOCSIS-3-1

CarlH
    New Contributor II

Thanks Rattler!  No the question was not really answered.  We are getting a canned response from the Cox reps instead of a true technical report . As indicated in the DSLreports post - MANY in Phoenix are self-installing D3.1 gigablast after calling in.   It seems to be "luck of the draw" on sales reps - if you happen to get lucky and contact a trained rep you are good to go.  If you get an untrained rep you have to needlessly pay $75 for a useless truck roll.

As xymox1 states " think this is just wrong info.. Back when I first tried this I was told over and over and over again by top level supervisors stuff that only applied to fiber no matter what I told them.

There is a serious training gap here that Ciox really needs to address in a emergency manner.

In phoenix its completely self service, they only check to be sure you have the right modem then pull the switch.."

I'll wait on giving Cox my extra $20 a month for a service I don't really need until Cox gets everyone up to speed.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    CarlH,

I apologize for any incorrect information. We will have to further research 3.1 self-install and escalate this to our sales team. Please send an email to cox.help@cox.com with this forum post, your full name, and address. Thanks
    CarlH
    New Contributor II

Thanks!  A customer called me and it turns out the modem model name was incorrectly assigned when originally provisioned.  Once that was fixed, Cox was able to remotely provision the modem.  I know have D3.1 gig blast service.

Thank you Cox for resolving this quickly and without hassle.  I have always appreciated Cox service.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @CarlH

Most welcome please let us know if you have further issues.

desertsky
    New Contributor

I’ve run into exactly the same issue.  I live in Phoenix and ordered the Gigablast upgrade online yesterday after purchasing a Netgear CM1000 modem and having it provisioned by Cox tech support.  The Cox order confirmation page informed me I would need to call Cox during business hours to complete the upgrade order.  When I called this morning, the first rep I spoke to was obviously not yet trained on Gigablast via DOCSIS 3.1.  He insisted Gigablast was only available via fiber and would require professional installation to have a fiber line run to my house.  I explained Gigablast was now available via DOCSIS 3.1 using existing coax.  He transferred me to tech support.  The 2nd rep in tech support was at least somewhat knowledgeable.  She confirmed my account was eligible for the Gigablast  upgrade and the new CM1000 modem on my account met their requirements.  But when she tried to complete my order, she said their system wouldn’t let her and said the Gigablast upgrade required professional installation.  She scheduled a truck rollout for tomorrow morning.  From what I’ve read on the dslreports forum, she should have been able to remotely activate Gigablast without scheduling a service call which will end up costing me more $$$ after already spending $180 on the new modem.  I hate to spend money on the service call if this upgrade can be completed remotely.  As a side note, when I logged onto my account on the Cox website a couple hours ago, it now showed that I was on the Gigablast tier.  But I ran several speed tests and could not get over 180 Mbps download, the existing speed I’ve been getting with the Premier tier.  So the Gigablast upgrade has not yet taken place.