Forum Discussion

Lonnie_E__Schub
New Contributor
7 years ago

Triple charging, with meter running at least five times too high.

I am angered by the 1000 GB monthly limit. I've averaged between 200 and 300 GB, so, no big deal right? Well, yes, since over the last few weeks my metered usage is supposedly five or six times that much!

I shut my modem off and went to bed. When I got up in the morning, 37 more GB registered on the meter. I monitored all our regular activities over the next 24 hours, and maybe we used 0.8 to 1 GB. Yet, the meter shows 22 more.

I'll point out that Cox has admitted there is a problem with the modem meters, but they won't actually fess up. They won't explain anything. 

Yes, Cox is unfairly and unreasonably limiting our data and charging outrageously for overage, but that isn't bad enough. They seem to want to charge everyone for overage, so they put a multiplier on the data usage meters!

Also, a man complained about the data cap, and you say it is solved. It is not solved. You are either lying or just stupid.

The data cap is a problem. It is wrong.

Worse, it is downright disgusting to overspeed the meter! Disgusting!

Cox has usually been satisfactory, but when not, it is always excruciatingly painful to get support and get issues resolved.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Lonnie,

The Cox Data Usage Meter has been certified and tested for accuracy by Cox and Netforecast, an independent third party. If you believe the Cox Data Usage Meter is not calculating your data usage accurately, please email our team at cox.help@cox.com. We will gladly review your network activity logs and compare them to what our usage meter is tracking. We have an escalation process in place if discrepancies are discovered.

danaj525
    New Contributor

I'm with you Lonnie. So anti consumer it makes me sick. We need to start a movement to get as many people as we can to drop Cox so they lose millions and show them who has the power. They can blow their data cap out their ****. Greedy f u c k s

JCRAssoc
    New Contributor
    Unfortunately, they have a monopoly in many areas and exercise it to the fullest extent! All billing questions about this price jumping or that fee going up get the same response. "We need to address this offline." Um, no, and locking the thread does not preclude us from posting further about the unfair parasitic practices either. So, Cox, when are you going to open up and give the customers the truth?]
  • I see I am not the only one who saw data usage tripled between 9-12 Aug 2017. I chatted with Cox rep and she told me it could have been a specific movie and not just streaming. I told our routine hasn't changed but there was a significant spike. Last month we streamed a lot more and our daily usage never came close to 60 gigs but during the past weekend the meter is saying I used close to 180 gigs for three days. I don't buy this at all. Something is not write with this. I might just get rid of internet since my cell provider is unlimited data.
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Triple Data Usage

Please email your full address and name to cox.help@cox.com.

AlexCinTucson
    New Contributor II

I am reposting this, I have already posted it else where in this forum.

The data usage meter is not accurate!!!!

http://imgur.com/a/5pqfo

Cox sent me their audit by NetForecast. Please read the report, it clearly states that there is a margin of error in Cox's data usage meter. The audit claims that it error in the customers favor. But its clear from customers experiences that the Data Usage Meter is garbage. In its audit it has a margin of error, customers are clearly not getting accurate readings, and from my personal experience; The Data Usage meter is regularly innaccesable and the alerts at 85% and 100% of the data cap are not being sent to customers

mcclaunch88
    New Contributor

So I filed a complaint with the FCC and Cox called me and tried to tell me about how because of people that use high data it slows everyone else down. Basically cox is pretty much no going to tell people how they need to 'manage you data wisely'. This is ludicrous and when they drop the data cap because everyone is so upset they won't have any customers. Only the people that have to remain with them because there is not another available in the area. Cox is claiming that "we expect minimal to no impact for the vast majority of our customers." Why then are there several posts on their forums that are several pages long with people who this is affecting?

I don't know if it will help but I put together a petition that may not go anywhere but I'm going to try. I have a family of 5 and we are all gamers and streamers. Our games patches can be anywhere from 50GB to 120GB sometimes and Cox with her data caps is basically saying I can't do things in my spare time at home because they are going to charge me for it. I don't care if I get banned from there forums for posting this but I'm going to reply to every single forum post I can find with this information and I hope something can be done. I added the link for the petition. Sign and share if you like because I'm not giving up. I don't fight for a lot but this is one thing that is going to impact my family and I don't like it.

https://www.change.org/p/sharon-s-truxillo-stop-imposing-in-personal-lives-by-adding-data-caps