This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to send email from Cox SMTP outgoing server on iphone and ipad

Using an iphone 6 (but replicated issue on iphone 7 and ipad) when not on Cox wifi, I am not able to send emails from the Cox email account. All outgoing server settings are correct. I can access on my Mac and via web mail. Error message comes up that says 'Cannot Send Mail  The user name or password for 'Cox' is incorrect." It works every where else so that is not the issue. Account has been deleted and added, phone rebooted, and various other approaches tried. I see other forums indicate this remains an unresolved issue. For me, it started appearing about two months ago.

Having spent over three hours with Cox technical support last week to be told it is a Verizon issue, I am looking for an answer.  Verizon told me, after 70 minutes of tests, it is definitely a Cox issue. Given I can access from my Mac and the same error message appears when I set up the account on an iphone 7 and on the ipad, I tend to agree. 

Looking for some answers and quick solutions. 

Thanks! 

• outgoing mail not working

Please delete that Cox email account from your iPhone completely and then restart the iPhone. Once that's done please add the Cox email address again, like it's new and let the phone automatically select the settings for you. Please reach back out here if that doesn't work.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • My wife's iPhone is experiencing same issue.  Could you indulge this elderly guy by listing explicit directions to delete cox, turn off phone and especially the "cox email address

• Hello GilG,

Remove your email account and set it up again
    On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
    On your iOS device, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts.
    Tap the email account that you want to remove.
    Tap Delete Account.

How to restart
    Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the slider appears.
    Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
    After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo

iPhone or iPad Auto Configuration to Send and Receive Cox Email
    From the iPhone or iPad home screen, tap Settings.
    On the Settings screen, tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    Tap Add Account.
    On the Add Account screen, tap Other.
    Tap Add Mail Account.
    On the New Account screen, enter the following information:
    Name
    Cox Email Address
    Password
    Description
    Tap Next.
    Tap Save.

Hope this information helps.

• I have been having the exact same issue and have tried everything to resolve, including this.  Any other options to resolve?

• Please confirm your current email settings in the phone for your incoming and outgoing server.