Forum Discussion

breathmoss
New Contributor
11 years ago

Cable modems and telephone service

I currently have an Arris TM602G cable modem. I've got Preferred Internet and Digital phone service. I'm being told I need to upgrade to a Docsis 3.0 cable modem. Do I need to get a cable modem that will accommodate my phone service, or can I get a separate cable modem for my internet service?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KipK
    Valued Contributor II

If you have an EMTA that operates both the internet and phone, we would exchange it for a new one at no charge. We have an ongoing program to ship out a new DOCSIS 3.0 EMTA with instructions to swap them and a label to ship the old one back. Go to http://www.cox.com/upgrademyemta to see if you qualify and place an order, or call 1-888-556-1193 option 2 and let them know specifically that you need to do a DOCSIS 3.0 EMTA swap. You can also email us at coxhelp@cox.com and we can assist you with the process.

You always have the option of getting a separate telephone modem and Internet modem, but in that case you would be responsible for purchasing the modem yourself, and you would need to have cable connections available for two modems. You can find the latest supported modem list here and tips for how to choose here.

PC_Medic
    New Contributor II

Currently have the Arris 502G / CX8 and I had received the same message ('Cox Pop-up') a week ago. Clicked the included link, placed the order for the modem upgrade and after submitting the order received a message that a "Cox representative will contact you shortly to confirm your order".

Never heard from any one and have not received an upgraded (DOCSIS 3.0) modem. Is some one going to contact me or is the modem just going to be shipped? If just being shipped, how long does this take? I am hoping this will solve the issue we have been experiencing lately of internet and phone service dropping out. Happens a few times a day now and can last from a minute to 10-15 minutes.

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

PC_Medic said:
    Never heard from any one and have not received an upgraded (DOCSIS 3.0) modem. Is some one going to contact me or is the modem just going to be shipped? If just being shipped, how long does this take? I am hoping this will solve the issue we have been experiencing lately of internet and phone service dropping out. Happens a few times a day now and can last from a minute to 10-15 minutes.

Once an online order is placed, you should be contacted within 1-3 business days, but it could be by email to either the primary cox.net account or to the preferred contact email if an alternative one is set on the account. If you haven't gotten a call or email after a week, then something may have gone wrong with the order process. If you're just swapping the EMTA and not upgrading to a rented wireless gateway or anything, we can set that up easily if you email us at coxhelp@cox.com. (If you are upgrading to the gateway, it may be faster to call the number listed above.) Once the order is confirmed, it should arrive within another 2-3 business days.

Service dropping out like that, just in general, could be either a modem or a signal problem but replacing the modem won't hurt either way. However, looking up the account associated with your username, all the equipment shows indications of signal noise, which could have a number of causes. You can try swapping the modem first to see if it helps, but it would probably be better to put in a service call. We could do the EMTA swap at the same time in that case. You can either call your local technical support line or email us at coxhelp@cox.com to set that up.