Forum Discussion

Wecomewego
New Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Moderate to Severe Packet Loss

I have been having an ongoing issue for about a month now with my Cox Ultimate package. Basically, when I use services like VOIP or gaming, I notice that I have packet loss that steadily sits at 1-5% loss, but spikes up to 45% or so, especially towards the late afternoon/evening. Using both Teamspeak 3 and ping -t commands, I have determined that the packet loss is specifically for outgoing packets.

My set up has my PC hard wired into my Nighthawk 1750, which is connected to a brand new Arris SB8200. I had been using a SB6190, and originally thought the issue was due to the Puma6 defect in the modem's chip. I then upgraded to the SB8200, but noticed the same issue occurring on both modems. I replaced my cat5e cables, and even hard wired my PC into the modem to rule out a router issue. The issues persist.

I called cox, who has sent 3 different techs to help me. The first ran new line from the tap on the street to the side of the house. They noticed ingress on the line, so they sent a second contractor who ran new cable in the house including a wall fish. The issues persisted, so a 3rd contractor came out who was considered a senior tech. He tested some things and ran new line from the tap back to my modem again, basically re-doing the work of the previous techs. My packet loss seemed to drop from an average of 1-5% to an average of .5-3%, with spikes still ~45%. He did note that the box on the street was very damaged, as if it was kicked or backed into with a car, but offered no solutions rather than to see if it improves. I've called him back and he says he's going to ask around but I'm not confident it will be fixed.

Here are the Upstream details from my modem:

Channel ID    Lock Status    US Channel Type    Frequency    Width    Power
1    2    Locked    SC-QAM    23300000 Hz    6400000 Hz    38.6 dBmV
2    1    Locked    SC-QAM    18400000 Hz    3200000 Hz    38.3 dBmV
3    3    Locked    SC-QAM    29800000 Hz    6400000 Hz    40.0 dBmV
4    4    Locked    SC-QAM    36300000 Hz    6400000 Hz    40.0 dBmV

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for a resolution as this impacts VOIP, Screensharing/Streaming, and gaming. Thanks!

• @Wecomewego

You can definitely give that a shot. It's starting to look like a packet loss somewhere between us and the modem from the data available so far. This would be something our field service team would need to investigate further. If a technician is able to confirm the problem still exists at the tap servicing your home he/she would then open a ticket with our field maintenance team to investigate further.

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion