Forum Discussion

JasonW
New Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Data Allowance/Overage Notification Question

I currently have the Premiere internet package. This morning I received an email saying that I had exceeded my data allowance of 300 Gigabytes. I read through the email and eventually read this: "While you are not billed for going over your plan, your online experience may be improved by moving to a package featuring faster downloads and a larger data usage allowance." As I understand that, there's no actual consequence for exceeding my data allowance. Am I wrong? Will my speeds be throttled in any way for the remainder of the current billing cycle? If there's no actual consequence for exceeding data allowance, then as best I can tell this Overage Notification I received is essentially an advertisement for the next highest tier of service (Ultimate). Any clarification or further information on this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

• Jason,

The data allowance for the Premier Speed is 300 gigabytes combined download and upload. These limits are listed in our policies online at http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/hamptonroads/policies/speedsusage.cox 

If you do exceed your allowance, Cox will attempt to notify you by one or more methods: email, phone, or message on your computer before action is taken. We will then work proactively with you to resolve the problem.

While there is no throttling, you can choose to reduce your usage or switch to another plan that provides a higher usage allowance.  

In cases of extremely high usage Cox will suspend the user's service until they call Cox to resolve the usage issues. In even rare cases, Cox will terminate a customer's service if they do not decrease their usage after consultation with Cox.

Hope this information helps.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Dina
    Contributor III

Jason,

The data allowance for the Premier Speed is 300 gigabytes combined download and upload. These limits are listed in our policies online at http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/hamptonroads/policies/speedsusage.cox 

If you do exceed your allowance, Cox will attempt to notify you by one or more methods: email, phone, or message on your computer before action is taken. We will then work proactively with you to resolve the problem.

While there is no throttling, you can choose to reduce your usage or switch to another plan that provides a higher usage allowance.  

In cases of extremely high usage Cox will suspend the user's service until they call Cox to resolve the usage issues. In even rare cases, Cox will terminate a customer's service if they do not decrease their usage after consultation with Cox.

Hope this information helps.

JasonW
    New Contributor

That's exactly the kind of clarification I was looking for. Thank you. 

JasonW
    New Contributor

A further question after reading the Speeds and Usage Information for High Speed Internet Service: I notice that the speeds for Premiere are still shown as pre speed increase (30 Mbps instead of the new 50 Mbps). This is simply a matter of curiosity, but if the speeds are now faster and the data allowance max can be reached faster than before, are there any plans to increase the data allowance for each tier of internet service accordingly? Again, just curious. 

Dina
    Contributor III

We do not have any information on any upgrades to the Data allowances right now but if a change is made to the allowances we will be sure to keep everyone posted.  

Pliiny
    New Contributor

The allowance is terrible.   My tier has a 200GB limit which at my 25 Mbit connection can be exceeded by less than 1 hour of usage a day.

25 Mbit can download 11 GB per hour x 30 days (1 hour per day) is 330 GB of usage in a month.

I will be sad to leave my cox internet/TV/Phone service for DSL if this becomes an issue.  :(