Forum Discussion

bclark22
New Contributor
12 years ago

Slow speeds throughout Phoenix and Casa Grande in Arizona

During the past three weeks at two different residences I've lived  in Phoenix (I moved recently) and also at a family member's place in Casa Grande, AZ I have been tracking VERY slow speeds on Cox's system.  For instance everything was great at my last residence and I was able to download at 2500 KB/s which is very close to my speed I pay for.  Towards the last week of my residency there at that place, the connection became extremely erratic, going from 1700 KB/s to 300 KB/s and back up and down.  I could see it in my download graph that it was very inconsistent and evident that something is going on with Cox's cable system.  Now that I have moved, my new place is experiencing 600-700 KB/s download almost ALL the time I am there in the evenings, and it doesn't matter what time.  It could be 6 PM or 3 AM and the speeds are the same.  This is sad because I have the 25 mbps package, which should equal roughly 2000-2500 KB/s on downloads.  So what gives?  If you want to give me a 5th of the service why not change my price to a 5th of the price?  To further check on this I asked my cousin who lives in Casa Grande if he's been experiencing any speed issues and sure enough he has the same issue but even worse!  He only gets 200-300 KB/s on his downloads now and has the same package.

So if there are issues Cox, why not tell your users about them?  I don't see any place on the website that shows news saying that you're upgrading the system, or anything like that.  It would be nice to keep your users in the know.  How long will I continue to pay for full service but only get 1/5th of the service I'm paying for?

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bclark22
    New Contributor

The signal levels have nothing to do with it.  I've been keeping an eye on them and every day on my Docsis 3.0 modem they are showing 6 downstream channels ranging from 38.8 db-40.8db and the upstream channels show 3 at 38.2 db.

The problem is that cox is overloading the node outside my house.  Not sure if there is anything that can be done about that but here's how I know they are overloading the node.  I come home and use my NNTP (Usenet service) at peak hours like 6-11 pm and I get around 300-700 KB/s, but when it's 3 AM I get 3200 KB/s or higher.

The modem is not on its way out, it is brand new and the cox home security techs were here examining all those levels on the modem and did not see an issue.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

The requested inforrmation would still be helpful in determining what is going on, particularly the modem logs. 

bclark22
    New Contributor

I don't see an area for modem logs on my Cisco DPC3825.  Any idea of where to find those?  Best thing I can find is underneath the Administration -> Reporting -> Logs button I switch the logs to show "All" but there is absolutely nothing there.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

The Cisco's won't report that as you've noticed.  Please check your PMs.